Release # listed on the backup file?

TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
Seems I remember one of the superusers saying that when a backup is done, that the Release # for that backup file is included in the file name somewhere.. I'm not seeing one. Where would it show? What backup to where? Seems that would be helpful when restoring  a previous level backup file because of issues on a newly loaded release. I'm at Release 38.30, but none of my backups display it that anywhere. Maybe a screenshot could help.

If not and you needed to restore a backup file how would you know what backup file to restore to if the Release # is not included in a particular file name?

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding— 
    When you start Quicken and it offers you a program update (new release, new release #), Quicken creates a backup withe the current release number in the file name - qdata-R-37.67-2022-03-02.QDF-backup. That backup gets created whether you accept the new release or not. It gets created in whatever folder your other automatic backups get placed; usually a BACKUP folder in the same folder that holds your base data.add file.  
    Other than that special case, the release number is not part of the normal backup process or file names. 
    I currently have 6 such files in my backups dated between 2/1 and 3/12. Before that a R-36,38 appears dated 1/23. I would surmise I upgraded to R-37.67 on 1/23 and have rejected 6 subsequent attempts for later releases. 
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    My data files show qdata R37.67, however when I look at about Quicken it shows R38.30. Help me understand this please.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    My data files show qdata R37.67, however when I look at about Quicken it shows R38.30. Help me understand this please.
    Hello @TTSguy

I am sorry to hear about this issue with a mismatch between the version displayed for your Quicken software. Thank you for reaching out to us again with further information about this problem.

Where is your current active data file located? You can find this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • SandraStowell
    SandraStowell Member ✭✭✭
    I find that my automatic release backups get stored in the Backups subfolder of my current Quicken file directory, although I store my intentional frequent backups on a separate hard drive... these release backups really had me puzzled today as I am transferring my life(!) to a new computer.
    Thank you for explaining the release backups! I removed a few years' worth, as I think 3-4 should be sufficient.
    PTArtist.com
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:My data files show qdata R37.67, however when I look at about Quicken it shows R38.30.
    Help me understand this please.
    As explained - the included release number is of the PREVIOUS version when the NEW version was detected as available -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.