3/11/2022 Schwab ETF splits

Options
One step update does not enter these splits. Anyone else have this problem?
Using latest updated version R39.23.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    I, too, didn't receive a download from Schwab that established the 2 for 1 split in my Schwab ETF.  It wasn't until Quicken brought up the screen telling me that the number of shares per Schwab didn't agree with the number of shares per Quicken that I figured out that there probably had been a stock split. (Schwab's figure was exactly twice the WHOLE number of shares in Quicken, but with the same number of fractional shares.)
    It's been quite a while since I've encountered a stock split in my portfolio but, if I'm remembering correctly, there's no "StkSplit" action that can be kicked off by a download from a Financial Institution (FI).  I believe the typical approach used by FIs is to download a series of "Adds", very commonly without the proper cost basis.
    I simply entered the stock split information on my own, and then sold the additional fractional shares that I didn't get using the CIL as the "proceeds" for the sale.
    I assume that the lack of any downloaded "split" information is a result to the shift on the part of Schwab from Direct Connect downloads, with an OFX file prepared by Schwab, to Experss Web Connect with this information somehow (screen-scrape or something similar?) figured out by Quicken via a script of some sort.  
    On the history of the account at Schwab's site I see exactly one entry of
    Stock Split     SCHX     SCHWAB US LARGE CAP ETF     8,854     $50.655
    and this doesn't even tell Quicken what the split ratio is so I can't see how Quicken could even know what ratio to use, and that certainly doesn't give the detail that allow "lot-level" information to be provided.  Perhaps @Quicken Jared could enlighten us here.
    I certainly am not "making use of any pop-up blockers, antivirus software, firewalls, or Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)" that could affect things.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One step update does not enter these splits. Anyone else have this problem?
    Using latest updated version R39.23.
    Hello @Mcduck18$%,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with ETF splits. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

Were you able to download the splits successfully prior to 3/11/2022? Also, are you currently making use of any pop-up blockers, antivirus software, firewalls, or Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)? Be sure to clear the filters in your register, if possible, by clicking the Reset button just above it. Also, toggle the sorting in your register by clicking on the word Date in the associated column, so that the triangular arrow in the same box is facing downward.

I look forward to hearing your answers and any possible updates.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Mcduck18$%
    Mcduck18$% Member
    Options
    Never previously had a problem with downloading split transaction. I do operate various computer security options but they have not previously interfered with Quicken updates. I don't "see" the register filter reset you mention and in any event have never set a register filter. Changing the date toggle had no effect. I updated the splits manually. I also contacted Schwab to make them aware of the issue as I believe the problem originates on their end.
    Thanks for your assistance, Steve
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    I, too, didn't receive a download from Schwab that established the 2 for 1 split in my Schwab ETF.  It wasn't until Quicken brought up the screen telling me that the number of shares per Schwab didn't agree with the number of shares per Quicken that I figured out that there probably had been a stock split. (Schwab's figure was exactly twice the WHOLE number of shares in Quicken, but with the same number of fractional shares.)
    It's been quite a while since I've encountered a stock split in my portfolio but, if I'm remembering correctly, there's no "StkSplit" action that can be kicked off by a download from a Financial Institution (FI).  I believe the typical approach used by FIs is to download a series of "Adds", very commonly without the proper cost basis.
    I simply entered the stock split information on my own, and then sold the additional fractional shares that I didn't get using the CIL as the "proceeds" for the sale.
    I assume that the lack of any downloaded "split" information is a result to the shift on the part of Schwab from Direct Connect downloads, with an OFX file prepared by Schwab, to Experss Web Connect with this information somehow (screen-scrape or something similar?) figured out by Quicken via a script of some sort.  
    On the history of the account at Schwab's site I see exactly one entry of
    Stock Split     SCHX     SCHWAB US LARGE CAP ETF     8,854     $50.655
    and this doesn't even tell Quicken what the split ratio is so I can't see how Quicken could even know what ratio to use, and that certainly doesn't give the detail that allow "lot-level" information to be provided.  Perhaps @Quicken Jared could enlighten us here.
    I certainly am not "making use of any pop-up blockers, antivirus software, firewalls, or Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)" that could affect things.

• Mcduck18$%
    Mcduck18$% Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Tom. Certainly agree with all you posted. As I mentioned here I thought the problem lies with Schwab. Not a very well handled split IMO they sent out no notification and apparently made no provisions for those of us using software such as Quicken to track it. I called Schwab and the two reps I spoke with were not even aware of the splits.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Mcduck18$%
    @Tom Young

Good morning gentlemen.  Thank you for your respective postings and insights.

I'm relatively new to Schwab and a new owner of ETF.  I'm a very old (40 years) mutual fund investor so stock splits of any kind are new to my tracking.  Reinvesting mutual fund distributions are what is second nature to me. 

With that said, I had no idea Q was supposed to post the split in a OSU. On 11 March SCHH showed a split (2 for 1) in the Schwab portal.  I went in to Q and did a manual entry based on what I saw in the Schwab portal.  Little did I know...

However, since November (when Schwab went from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect +) my morning ritual has also transformed and I find myself doing several manual entries.  My new tasks are what I'm calling the "new normal."  I'm just wondering if we'll ever see the "pre-17 November 2021" days again when we could have confidence in our OSU.   

Thank you again.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    these were split -

SCHG

Schwab U.S. Large-Cap Growth ETF

$135.36

2:1

SCHX

Schwab U.S. Large-Cap ETF

$100.47