Investment Dividend income not registering in cash account

John K2
John K2 Member ✭✭
I've had these account for years and they are established as an investment account and an associated cash account. Just recently (beginning early March 22) when I enter my dividend income from an investment it does not transfer/register in the associated investment cash account, even though the cash account is shown in the transfer box as entered. As a result, when I DRIP stocks with the dividend; my cash balance goes negative instead of back to zero. What changed as of early march to cause this and how can I fix?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which version are you running?  If you are running R38.30 then you should be OK to continue running it.  But if you are running R39.17 or R39.21 then you should update to R39.23. 
    You can read more about the issues with R39.17/R39.21 at NEW 3/10/22 Paycheck Wizard issue after updating to R39.17 & R39.21.  Note that this posted Alert talks about Paycheck Wizard issues but the issues are more extensive than that and also include issue with transfer transactions which means that it could also possibly affect transfers of cash from the investment account to the separate linked checking account.
    While you are at it, you might want to review all of your accounts to make sure that they have accurate account balances.  If you find issues it might be easier to restore the last R38.30 (or before) backup file than to try to fix the balance issues in your current primary data file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response, but I'm running update R39.23 and its still happening. Added some dividends and repurchases this morning. The dividend used to show as a -$ amount. Now its just a blank, but when I highlight it, the amount shows. Is my system just totally corrupted?
  • Boatnmaniac
    I doubt that your system is corrupted but your data file might be.  R39.17/R39.21 caused a lot of issues, some that are not repairable/recoverable which is why I've been recommending (and Quicken has, too) restoring the last R38.30 data file. 
    Have you done that?  You can find it by looking for the backup file with "R-38.30" in the file name.  (Quicken now backs up the file when updating versions and places the version that is being updated in the backup file name.)  Or you can select the backup file from 2/27 or 2/28...one of these should be the date before R39.17 was first released.

• John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    I don't have a backup from that version, so is quicken doing anything to fix this?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Do you have an earlier version backup?
    Regarding the specific issue you are seeing:  I do not know what if anything Quicken is doing to address this.  I have not seen others posting about this issue so it might just be specific to your file in which case, unless you reported it to Quicken, they might not even know it exists.  I do know that there have been several issues caused by R39.17/R39.21 so I suggested trying to restore the backup as perhaps a quick solution to your problem...assuming that your problem might have been caused by R39.17/R39.21. 
    If restoring an earlier version backup file does not resolve the issue for you or if you do not have an earlier version backup file then I suggest you report the problem to Quicken Support:
    • From within Quicken:  Help > Report a Problem.  The problem many have with this using this method is that Quicken will review the issue but they will not respond back to you so you don't really know what they are doing nor will you get feedback about what you can perhaps do to fix the problem.
    • Via Phone or Chat:  https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support.  Make sure popup blockers are disabled for this page or that Quicken is whitelisted.
    One other thing you could try doing:  It could be that perhaps your installation did not complete properly.  You could try to uninstall Quicken and then download and install the full version from your online Quicken.com account or from here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

• John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I'm going to do both. You've been a great help. Waiting to chat with Quicken Support now.
  • John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    I did find an earlier back-up version; that did not fix the problem.
    I reloaded Quicken and deleted the version; that did not solve the problem.

So I figured a way to solve it, but my solution was sub-optimal.

Solution: I created a new account and transferred all stocks to the new account. This eliminated the linked cash account and now everything is loaded and my cash balance is tracked. While this "solved" my loading and dividend/cash accounting problem, I lost all info for the dividends received to date. Fortunately, these accounts were for a Roth so no tax issues/concerns.
  • Boatnmaniac
    It sounds like there might be some sort of corruption in your data file, not with your installation.  Sometimes running Validate & Repair will fix corruption issues.
    But I am curious.  You said it is a Roth account but you had a separate linked checking account?  Quicken doesn't permit Retirement accounts to have those.  Was your account set up in Quicken as a Brokerage account instead of a Retirement account?
    Also, before you moved your data into the new account, did you deactivate the separate linked checking account?  If you did not do that then that is probably the reason why you lost the dividends info...because the dividends data was in that separate checking account instead of in the investment account.  But like you said, since it is a Roth there are no tax issues/concerns because of this.

• John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    It was a Roth account, set-up as a retirement account with a linked cash account. A linked cash account was how investment accounts were set-up until several years ago. I never changed, because as an investment account I wanted to maintain all of my income and purchase history. While its not critical for taxes, but very necessarily when looking at overall investment performance.

Also, I did not realize I could "de-link" the cash account from the investment account. Might "play" with that option. Thanks
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2022
    Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that showing cash in a checking account was an option for Retirement accounts long ago.  Go to the General tab of Account Details and see if you are given the option to tic "No".  I'm not sure if this will be visible in old Roth account but if it is then "No" should merge all the cash transactions back into the Roth account.

• John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, that looks like where the file corruption originated. When I open that window, there is no option for cash account. Evidently during the latest update (or at least the one from around 7 Mar) the linkage was broken. But I was able to correct the other accounts, so maybe I'm good on the taxable ones.

Thanks,
  • hvangieson
    hvangieson Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem. Using version R39.23. These are very old accounts and linked correctly with the cash account in the account list. I think this is a problem with version R39.23, not file corruption. Thanks.
  • John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    Yeah I agree, but I got worried about keeping these legacy "linked" accounts and continued support in future updates. That was why I converted the ones that were still properly linked. Requires a little clean-up because the cash balance did not balance. Getting ready to start that process now.
  • John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    Actually, the conversion went pretty good. The first reconciliation was a challenge because you have a mix of "reconciled" and "Unreconciled" transactions going back to the beginning of time, (for me it started in the early 90's), but I picked 12/31/21 as my starting point to balance. Selected "mark all" and the uncleared went to zero. Then did the same for Jan, Feb and Success, I'm up-to-date!
  • hvangieson
    hvangieson Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your input. Interestingly, the problem I describe above happened with one of my accounts, but not with another one. Accounts are with same financial institution. (?)
  • John K2
    John K2 Member ✭✭
    Same for me, except it occurred in only 2 older Roth accounts, no taxable accounts. But all from the same brokerage.
    I do recommend making a good back-up, then converting the "legacy" linked accounts while they are all working correctly.
    BTW; De-linking takes 10 to 15 mins for each account, so if you do it, plan on walking away and letting it make all the changes.
  • EFG
    EFG Member ✭✭
    I had precisely the same problem for the first time when I attempted to reconcile the February statement of the checking account linked to my IRA/401(k) investment account. (Been using Quicken for more than 20 years!) The dividend transactions did not appear in my Quicken cash account. Eventually discovered that Quicken was actually ignoring the Transfer Account when I entered the dividend, and actually recording the DivX transaction as a Div transaction. (BTW, this does not happen with my taxable account with the same brokerage.) Chat support seemed to be totally unaware/uninformed of the issue. Am I correct to assume the only way to resolve is to make manual entries of dividend payments into the Cash account? Has anyone attempted to escalate this issue?
  • Pintrok
    Pintrok Member
    I am having the same issue. I called support a few weeks ago, wasted a lot of time backing up, updating, blah, blah, blah - all to no avail. I am hoping Quicken can issue an update that fixes the issue. Very frustrating - especially when support is unaware that this appears to be a ubiquitous problem.
  • BRD209
    BRD209 Member
    I also have had this problem on tax deferred investment accounts that were linked to a separate cash account. Apparently the newer program updates after February 2022 did not consider these accounts existed for long term customers. The temporary solution is to reinstall February version R38.30 that can be found at this link. https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
    Once reinstalled, open each March and April dated investment transaction that are not recorded properly and simply click enter/done and the transaction will post properly . Then we can wait for a new release that will fix the problem.
This discussion has been closed.