Vanguard downloaded transaction to wrong account

Options
FEC
FEC Member ✭✭
I have a Vanguard brokerage account. My wife has a Deferred Comp account with Vanguard Windsor Fund. During One-Step Update the transactions randomly began being recorded to the Windsor Fund in my brokerage account. I do not own Windsor in my brokerage account. How do I prevent this in future downloads and move the transactions from my account to hers?

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks @FEC,

So the first thing to do is to make sure that each account has the correct account information in Quicken.  To do that:
    1) Open the account register;
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and select "Edit account details";
    3) Review the "Financial Institution" name (make sure it us "Vanguard";
    4) Next review the data for "Account Number" and "Customer ID - make sure those are correct and if not edit them > 
    5) Click on the "Online Services" tab > click on the "Reset Account" button and follow any additional steps if prompted;
    6) Close the account register.

Then follow the same steps for the other account.

This will hopefully reconnect both accounts.  You may need to use the steps in my first message to you (above) to move the old transactions, and depending on the time frame that the current downloads cover, there may be gaps that you'll have to fill.  You could do that with manual entries (if there aren't many) or you also can download .QFX files from the Vanguard website and import them into your datafile.

I hope this helps. Get back to me with any questions and let me know how this all turns out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• FEC
    FEC Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Finally working properly. Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @FEC,

Can you give us a little more information to assist in analyzing what the issues might be?

What method are you using to download the Vanguard transactions into Quicken?  Have you been downloading transactions into each of your accounts in the past, or were you only downloading one of your accounts, but now the transactions have been switched to the other's account?  Did you change anything recently with respect to these connections?  More information will help to figure out what has gone wrong and correct it going forward.

As far as moving the transactions from your account to her's  - it is simple; all you need to do is first click on one of the transactions and "right click" > then select "Move transactions" > in the pop-up window - click on all transactions you want to move > in the field at the bottom labled "Move to account:" - select your wife's account > then "MOve" and then "Done".

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• FEC
    FEC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your response. The first downloaded transaction to her account was 1/17/14. On 6/19/20 they randomly began downloading to the wrong account. I use Direct Connect for all accounts and Complete is checked. I have changed nothing.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @FEC

So I still need to know whether - in the past you were downloading to BOTH of the Vanguard accounts, or just to one.  It sounds like it was both, but I am not sure.

Frankx

• FEC
    FEC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, Yes downloading to both.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks @FEC,

So the first thing to do is to make sure that each account has the correct account information in Quicken.  To do that:
    1) Open the account register;
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and select "Edit account details";
    3) Review the "Financial Institution" name (make sure it us "Vanguard";
    4) Next review the data for "Account Number" and "Customer ID - make sure those are correct and if not edit them > 
    5) Click on the "Online Services" tab > click on the "Reset Account" button and follow any additional steps if prompted;
    6) Close the account register.

Then follow the same steps for the other account.

This will hopefully reconnect both accounts.  You may need to use the steps in my first message to you (above) to move the old transactions, and depending on the time frame that the current downloads cover, there may be gaps that you'll have to fill.  You could do that with manual entries (if there aren't many) or you also can download .QFX files from the Vanguard website and import them into your datafile.

I hope this helps. Get back to me with any questions and let me know how this all turns out.

Frankx

• FEC
    FEC Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Finally working properly. Thanks for your help.
  • FEC
    FEC Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was mistaken. The problem is not solved. Now when I go to our joint Vanguard Brokerage account and enter symbol VWENX (Wellington Admn) shares it changes VWNEX (Windsor Admn) shares in my wife’s Deferred Comp account to VWENX. When I change VWENX in her brokerage account back to VWNEX it changes our brokerage account to VWNEX. How do I dissociate these accounts and keep all transactions?
This discussion has been closed.