Quicken repeatedly resets SYNC from OFF to ON -

Options
I use Quicken because I do NOT want my data files to reside on any storage medium or location beyond my personal PC. So called "secure" storage resources provided by one of the most unreliable and trouble prone software programs I have ever encountered are most certainly not "secure". Quicken has been programmed to force users' stand alone subscription software to send users backup data files to the web, requiring us to repeatedly reset preferences to the "DO NOT SYNCH" option, an unacceptable "default" choice. This has been going on for years, despite several calls to tech support, where I am verbally assured my files are not being copied to the web servers, encrypted or otherwise. Still, I cannot simply make a current copy of my personal data file residing on my own hard drive without now being prompted to enter my password to the "vault". Enough is enough. Anyone willing to put their data files, their most personal and vulnerable financial records on a cloud service provided by the programmers at Quicken is on the precipice of experiencing an identity theft disaster.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I use Quicken because I do NOT want my data files to reside on any storage medium or location beyond my personal PC. So called "secure" storage resources provided by one of the most unreliable and trouble prone software programs I have ever encountered are most certainly not "secure". Quicken has been programmed to force users' stand alone subscription software to send users backup data files to the web, requiring us to repeatedly reset preferences to the "DO NOT SYNCH" option, an unacceptable "default" choice. This has been going on for years, despite several calls to tech support, where I am verbally assured my files are not being copied to the web servers, encrypted or otherwise. Still, I cannot simply make a current copy of my personal data file residing on my own hard drive without now being prompted to enter my password to the "vault". Enough is enough. Anyone willing to put their data files, their most personal and vulnerable financial records on a cloud service provided by the programmers at Quicken is on the precipice of experiencing an identity theft disaster.
    Hello @Roger Bennett

I am sorry for any frustration or confusion. Thank you for bringing up this issue of the Password Vault for discussion.

Just to be clear, the Quicken Password Vault stores login credentials within the data file itself (wherever the user has this housed), and does not store data files. All passwords stored there are encrypted in a method standard for the industry. These are then accessed by a password created by the user, themselves.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    (A) Quicken has been programmed to force users backup data files to the web...
    (B) requiring us to repeatedly reset preferences to the "DO NOT SYNCH" option, an unacceptable "default" choice...
    (C) where I am verbally assured my files are not being copied to the web servers, encrypted or otherwise...
    (D) I cannot simply make a current copy of my personal data file residing on my own hard drive without now being prompted to enter my password to the "vault"...
    You have mentioned several and different topics - really need to split out and discuss each one -
    none of which I have encountered.....
    A - there are NO backup files sent to the web - the Quicken Cloud, even if used - is NOT a backup of your data
    B - have never seen this happen - I don't have the Cloud Sync enabled - therefore, I never see any related messages.
    C - if you ARE using the Quicken Cloud for access to your accounts via Quicken on the Web, or Mobile App -
    then only your credentals are being shared -
    and if you are doing Express Web Connect with One Step Update, this is already being done
    D - the "vault" relates to storing your account passwords for online access & downloading via One Step Update

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the actual program. \
    I'll only dignify your 1st sentence with a reply.  @Ps56k2 was designated a SUPERUSER by Quicken themselves.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Nope - never setup Quicken for Mobile and Sync access - therefore it's blank or TURNED OFF
    Unfortunately, the wording of Quicken "Cloud" - takes many forms.... 
    It is a basic req for Quicken to store your Quicken email ID,
    so that anything else regarding your Quicken account will have access to it. 
    If you don't enable the Sync feature, then that is all that happens...
    Next - the understanding of how and what Quicken uses to access your bank Account information...
    Do you use Quicken online One Step Update to download transactions from your banks - or do you do it manually ?
    If online - How do you think that happens ???
    C - if you ARE using the Quicken Cloud for access to your accounts via Quicken on the Web, or Mobile App -
    then only your credentals are being shared -
    and if you are doing Express Web Connect with One Step Update, this is already being done
    [EDIT] - Also updated topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A - since there is no WEB Backup feature.
    [EDIT] - Also added some white space to previous posting, to make it easier to read.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    [Removed-Unhelpful]
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.