How to transfer Quicken subscription to new computer & avoid glitches?

Megapixels18
Megapixels18 Member ✭✭
I have a valid subscription to Quicken Premier (Windows), currently installed on a Windows 10 computer that has stopped working altogether. Quicken data file is backed up to an external hard drive. I’ll need to buy a new computer, with Windows 11 (my current computer isn’t upgradable to Windows 11 anyway, even if it were fixed somehow). How do I install my Quicken Premier subscription to the new computer, so I can then load the data file from my back-up?

Somewhere else in the Community I read something about various problems using Quicken with Windows 11. I don’t know what version of Quicken I have, since I can’t access my computer, but I had downloaded whatever was the latest update within the last month. (My computer failure is only a little over a week old.). One commenter, regarding the problems using Quicken in Windows 11, said it might be due to a specific graphics card. Does Quicken work in Windows 11 only with certain graphics cards? If so, what kind(s) should I have (or avoid) in the new computer?

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Megapixels18

You should be able to install Quicken Premier on a Windows 11 machine with no problems.  While Quicken doesn't specifically indicate compatibility with Windows 11 yet, many Q users are running Quicken on Windows 11. 

I would suggest that you create a good backup of your Quicken datafile before you install it on your new Windows computer and then load and run Quicken on it.  If things don't go well, get back to us here (or contact Quicken Support via this LINK) and we'll see if we can help. 

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Megapixels18

Oh, and I forgot to address your other question - on your new machine, simply go to Quicken.com and login to your Quicken account.  From there you can download the latest version of Quicken to your new machine.  Good luck!'

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Megapixels18 , the information you read about graphics card issue (to which I commented to as well) is an isolated one and a very odd issue.  I too have multiple laptops with same brand of graphics card with no issues.  And on Win11 since July of 2021.
    As an FYI, Microsoft made it clear that they designed Win11 such that Win10 programs will run on it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/
    Once you install Quicken on your new machine per instructions provided by @Frankx , simply copy only your Quicken data file (.QDF) into the default location (which is typically C:\Users\[user_name]\Documents\Quicken) and you should be good move forward.
    Win11 is a tad different but it is faster than Win10 including on my unsupported hardware.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Megapixels18

You should be able to install Quicken Premier on a Windows 11 machine with no problems.  While Quicken doesn't specifically indicate compatibility with Windows 11 yet, many Q users are running Quicken on Windows 11. 

I would suggest that you create a good backup of your Quicken datafile before you install it on your new Windows computer and then load and run Quicken on it.  If things don't go well, get back to us here (or contact Quicken Support via this LINK) and we'll see if we can help. 

Frankx

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Megapixels18

Oh, and I forgot to address your other question - on your new machine, simply go to Quicken.com and login to your Quicken account.  From there you can download the latest version of Quicken to your new machine.  Good luck!'

Frankx

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Megapixels18 , the information you read about graphics card issue (to which I commented to as well) is an isolated one and a very odd issue.  I too have multiple laptops with same brand of graphics card with no issues.  And on Win11 since July of 2021.
    As an FYI, Microsoft made it clear that they designed Win11 such that Win10 programs will run on it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/
    Once you install Quicken on your new machine per instructions provided by @Frankx , simply copy only your Quicken data file (.QDF) into the default location (which is typically C:\Users\[user_name]\Documents\Quicken) and you should be good move forward.
    Win11 is a tad different but it is faster than Win10 including on my unsupported hardware.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Megapixels18
    Megapixels18 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, all! After my Windows 10 computer was repaired to restore (actually, re-install) Windows 10 (after first backing up the data files not just for Quicken but all my other stuff), I was successful in re-installing Quicken on my Windows 10 computer and re-loading my Quicken data file.
This discussion has been closed.