Multiple divisions/department needing separate reporting but under one company

I have 6 different simple businesses that I file IRS and State lumped together as one company. But I would like to pull reports for each business so maybe it might be better to call them "divisions" or "departments"?
How can I assign a sale(income) or an expense to a particular "division"? When I file my taxes, all will be lumped together as one company so the reporting for each division is for my review only to see how each division is doing.
I am using a Cash Basis Accounting. I am using QHB because Quickbooks On-Line was too confusing and expensive, but I will go back if that is the better product for my situation. FYI, I called the Help Desk 3 times and they could not help. THANK YOU!

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TahoeJohnny,

Are you currently using "Tags" for any purpose?  If not, you should be able to setup a "tag" for each of your "divisions" which should give you the reporting that you want.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx.

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• TahoeJohnny
    TahoeJohnny Member
    I am not. So that looks like it might work.
    The Help Desk kept telling me to use ACCOUNTS. That would not work, correct?
    In reading other posts, others suggested using "Projects" or "Jobs" but their situation was different than mine? Is this an option?
  • TahoeJohnny
    TahoeJohnny Member
    It seems Projects or Jobs HAVE to be assigned to ONE particular customer, which would not work for me. Is this correct?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can set up "individual businesses" within your Quicken data file. They act as if they were separate copies of Schedule C when viewing tax reports. Other Business views and reports can show them individually.
    To set up, go to the Business tab, click Business Tools and select Manage Business Information. One of the businesses can be marked as the default, in case you don't assign business transactions to a specific business.
    To assign a customer or vendor invoice to a specific business use the "Business tag" field when creating (or editing) invoices.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TahoeJohnny,

You are correct - Projects or Jobs have to be assigned to one customer.  Have you tried the tags approach?  You could setup a new Quicken datafile if you want to test the approach.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.