Online biller with MFA

I added USAA as an online biller so that the bill can be updated automatically. The bill appears with the USAA icon but with the message "Account is locked. Login to your biller's website to check the status of this account." USAA has informed me that my account is not locked and I am able to log in and out of my account with no difficulty. I suspect that the problem is based on multi-factor authentication which requires a code to be entered from a message sent to me by USAA in order for the bill to be updated. I would like to know if there is a workaround for this issue short of disabling MFA and deleting the online bill and entering it as a manual bill.
Thanks!
Gerry
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    GerryP said:
    I added USAA as an online biller so that the bill can be updated automatically. The bill appears with the USAA icon but with the message "Account is locked. Login to your biller's website to check the status of this account." USAA has informed me that my account is not locked and I am able to log in and out of my account with no difficulty. I suspect that the problem is based on multi-factor authentication which requires a code to be entered from a message sent to me by USAA in order for the bill to be updated. I would like to know if there is a workaround for this issue short of disabling MFA and deleting the online bill and entering it as a manual bill.
    Thanks!
    Gerry
    Hello @GerryP,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with a biller account being locked. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

If you have been able to log into your online profile via the biller's website since you began receiving the Account is locked,' error message, I recommend attempting to add the biller once again and running through the following steps:
    1. Log in to your account at the biller's website and make sure that you can view your amount due.
    2. After successfully viewing your amount due on the biller's website, try again through Quicken.
      1. Open Quicken
      2. Select the Bills Tab > Online Bills.
      3. Select Try again
    If the issue persists, be sure to check back in with us, if you can.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • GerryP
    GerryP Member ✭✭
    Hi, Jared, thank you very much for your response to my question. I performed the steps that you suggested and "try again" brought up a dialog box in which I entered my username, password, and a code that was sent to my phone. I received the message "authenticated" and a few minutes later received the message "Biller added. Waiting for the latest update. Biller USAA added but the next due amount is not yet available. Please try to update your bill list later." I then clicked "try again" and received the message "Bill added. Waiting for latest update. Your bill has been successfully added but your next due amount is not yet available. You should get the latest due date and amount the next time you update your Online bill list." I then logged in to the biller's website and see "Automatic Payment on May 1" with the amount due so that the amount due date and amount are currently available. I'm wondering if the structure of the USAA website does not permit the due date and amount due to be downloaded into Quicken.
    Thanks again for your assistance in pursuing this issue.
    Gerry
  • Quicken Jared
    edited April 2022
    GerryP said:
    Hi, Jared, thank you very much for your response to my question. I performed the steps that you suggested and "try again" brought up a dialog box in which I entered my username, password, and a code that was sent to my phone. I received the message "authenticated" and a few minutes later received the message "Biller added. Waiting for the latest update. Biller USAA added but the next due amount is not yet available. Please try to update your bill list later." I then clicked "try again" and received the message "Bill added. Waiting for latest update. Your bill has been successfully added but your next due amount is not yet available. You should get the latest due date and amount the next time you update your Online bill list." I then logged in to the biller's website and see "Automatic Payment on May 1" with the amount due so that the amount due date and amount are currently available. I'm wondering if the structure of the USAA website does not permit the due date and amount due to be downloaded into Quicken.
    Thanks again for your assistance in pursuing this issue.
    Gerry
    @GerryP

Thank you so much for bringing me updates about what is happening, and for providing all of this additional information. I am sorry that the exact resolution remains somewhat unclear as of this moment.

I see what you mean about the information as it is provided from a financial institution's servers, but before we can look into that, I want to make sure that the online bill list is being updated using the instructions provided below:

1. Log in to your biller’s website and verify an amount due is present.
      1. Open Quicken.
      3. Click the gear icon next to the biller’s name.
      4. Select Go to Biller Website.
      5. Verify the amount due is present.

1. If the amount due is present on the website, try to manually update the biller in the Quicken Bill Center.               
      1. Open Quicken.
      3. Click the gear icon next to the biller’s name.
      4. Select Update from Biller.

You can view more details about this subject in the support article discussing how to update your online biller linked here

I hope this is helpful, and if these instructions are followed properly, the problem itself may come to a close. I look forward to your response, in either case.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • GerryP
    GerryP Member ✭✭
    Hi, Jared, Gerry again. There is no gear icon next to the biller's name but a "Try Again" dropdown which includes the option "Go to biller website" which gets me to a browser with the following message: System Error
    We’ve encountered a problem. We are looking into it. Please try again later.

For immediate assistance, call us at 210–531–USAA (8722) or 800–531–USAA.

Request ID: 21db8628
    Status Code: 2736803
    IP Address: 23.227.148.110

I tried Sapphire and Edge browsers with the same result. I called the USAA number shown above and in the end the technical support representative advised me that they have no provision to download the current bill in to Quicken. There may be a disconnect between USAA and Quicken that may need to be addressed. If that is the case, I can simply delete the online biller and enter a manual bill for USAA.

Thank you in any event for assisting me in this investigation.
  • Quicken Jared
    GerryP said:
    Hi, Jared, Gerry again. There is no gear icon next to the biller's name but a "Try Again" dropdown which includes the option "Go to biller website" which gets me to a browser with the following message: System Error
    We’ve encountered a problem. We are looking into it. Please try again later.

For immediate assistance, call us at 210–531–USAA (8722) or 800–531–USAA.

Request ID: 21db8628
    Status Code: 2736803
    IP Address: 23.227.148.110

I tried Sapphire and Edge browsers with the same result. I called the USAA number shown above and in the end the technical support representative advised me that they have no provision to download the current bill in to Quicken. There may be a disconnect between USAA and Quicken that may need to be addressed. If that is the case, I can simply delete the online biller and enter a manual bill for USAA.

Thank you in any event for assisting me in this investigation.
    @GerryP

Thank you for updating me once more and providing additional context. I do apologize that this issue remains ongoing, and for any confusion my previous comment may have inspired.

Some of my descriptions may have been too brief or vague. Just so I am clear: in order to update your online bills, navigate to the Bills & Income tab and then select Online Bills from the dropdown list in the second filter to the right just above the Biller List in the right-hand panel of the screen. The USAA Biller should then appear in the list below, and you would click on the downward facing arrow in the button labeled Enter at the far-right side of the screen. Finally, you would select Update Bill from the dropdown list that appears. 

I also want to link you to an Open Alert regarding an emerging issue with USAA accounts and online banking services that may be related to your situation. You can find that article here.

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • GerryP
    GerryP Member ✭✭
    Hi, Jared, I have followed the directions that you provided and upon running Update I still see in the Update Summary that bills were not updated. I then checked online bills and see "Try again". I would wonder if anyone has successfully updated their USAA account. I should note that I do not use USAA banking but rather USAA insurance so l wouldn't know if that is an issue. In any event, thanks for pursuing this issue with me.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to avoid late fees and penalty interest rates

Are you about to be late with making your bill payment due to problems or unexpected delays in Quicken Bill Manager (Quick Pay or Check Pay) that can't be resolved in a timely fashion?

While you're waiting for the problems to be resolved, to avoid missed payments I recommend you logon directly to the biller's website and authorize them to direct debit (aka PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, etc.) the next and perhaps all future payments from your checking account or a credit card. The biller will make an electronic debit on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late.

In Quicken just record a scheduled reminder which does not execute as an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the debit transaction. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

• GerryP
    GerryP Member ✭✭
    HI, UKR, thanks for your input. I have been doing exactly has you have described all along so that my bills are direct debited from my account and those bills have been entered as manual bills with all of the appropriate information. Oddly enough, USAA shows up as one of the billers that support online bill updates in Quicken, icon and all. I would suggest that if USAA does not in fact support billing updates through the online biller list, then USAA should be removed from the list. I appreciate the input that you and Jared have provided on this issue.
This discussion has been closed.