New File menu --> How do I rename and save my files now?

Options
Today I let Quicken update before I started working. All went well until I went to save my work. I clicked FILE and a whole new menu came up with no options to save or save as. How do I rename and save my files now?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What version .... Help --> About Quicken
    Not sure what you are seeing - this is the top Quicken Menu bar ? -
    and if you just hover over FILE - you see the list of ....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You don't really need to save separate copies of your active Quicken data file as you get ready to close Quicken for the day. Quicken immediately stores every transaction you make, the moment you make it, to a disk file. The file name can be found in the File Menu, near the bottom of the list, preceeded by a "1"
    What you really want to do is to create backups of this data file as follows.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• gerickson45
    gerickson45 Member
    Options
    PS56K2... That's what I saw before the update. now this.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Options
    -- deleted --  I mis-read reply.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Options
    PS56K2... That's what I saw before the update. now this.
    WHY are you saving multiple QDF files, with what looks like datestamps ??
    Not sure what you think is happening with these Quicken QDF data files.
    If you want backups - you should have enabled the Quicken Auto Backups and also the Quicken Manual Backups.
    You really should just have ONE file, that just lives on with all your financial data -
    I have ONE Quicken QDF file that has all my data since forever.
    BTW - the SAVE A COPY AS has been renamed as - COPY or BACKUP File -
    as there are new options for these menu features.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• gerickson45
    gerickson45 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Ps56k2
  • Sherrie Buckridge
    Options
    I, too want to know how to change my file name. When we could make a copy, we could name it anything we wanted. I want to go back to my standard - Desktop 2021-07-30 - not...2021-07-24 after correcting Sun Sales

I do a copy of my file before I make any changes to my online accounts. Such as resetting or having to deactivate and reactivate. My credit union has problems with the multiple accounts that our family uses. Seems only one can do a direct connection and all the others have to do a web connection. Then after a while Quicken won't download from an account and I need to deactivate it or do a reset. So...

I make a copy of my file so I can go back and retry when what I was trying to do fails.

BTW - I have been using Quicken since 1995.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I, too want to know how to change my file name.
    BTW - I have been using Quicken since 1995.
    I guess I would use Windows - outside of the Quicken menu - and just find the file in my /Documents/Quicken/ folder -
    then ... right-click --> Rename ... same as its been since at least 1995
    Also... instead of making these "copies" - why not use the Quicken backup feature - both the automatic feature that creates a backup after so many open/closes of Quicken - along with the manual feature that again is prompted for after a certain number of open/closes of Quicken ...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• len
    len Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I really wish you'd bring back the "File Save As" menu option. This new backup system conflicts with my personal preferences I've been using since 1992 and adds complexity I don't have time or interest in dealing with.
  • Jacqueline Richenback
    Options
    I also wish you'd bring back the "File Save As" menu option. I totally agree with len.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Jacqueline Richenback said:I also wish you'd bring back the "File Save As" menu option.
    len said:
    I really wish you'd bring back the "File Save As" menu option. This new backup system conflicts with my personal preferences I've been using since 1992 and adds complexity I don't have time or interest in dealing with.
    and why do you perform this .... File Save As ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MTK654
    MTK654 Member
    Options
    Same reason as me, Ps56k2. Personal preference.
    And why do you perform it your way?
    Software should adapt to the individual person's preference, not the other way around.
  • NJPoolboy
    NJPoolboy Member
    Options
    I change the file name to the current year and save it that way until the next year. HOW DO I DO THAT NOW?
  • garylapalombara
    Options
    Please bring back the "file save as" feature. I also like to rename file each year to include current year...I tried the "Make a Copy" but discovered that none of the ID or Passwords for the accounts I sync copied over....this is terriable....am I suppose to to re-established the online connection for every account I sync because I want to rename my quicken file? who thought taking away the "file save as" option was a good idea? Please correct this blunder for your customers....thanks. :s :s :(
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please bring back the "file save as" feature. I also like to rename file each year to include current year...
    AGAIN.... things were changed by Quicken to help users stop creating their own self-inflicted problems.
    Each Quicken data file has an internal ID that is linked to the Quicken Cloud which in turn is linked to the Quicken on the Web usage along with the Quicken Mobile App.  
    If you just copy & rename files - and then sometime later actually use that file - Quicken has no way of knowing that it is any different than your current live Quicken file ... and will try to sync up any file changes... potentially adding, deleting, changing the data and transactions you may have.   A real disaster -
    SO.... THAT is why things were changed.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• HuskyJim
    HuskyJim Member ✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the prior comments about using "Save File As ...". I do the same - save a current year file. I just want to rename the file - personal preference - why not allow it?

It's not as simple as using Windows to rename it - tried it, open that new/renamed file, and it does not operate the same as the same "old" file . There are other data files associated with the primary .QDF file. Do they have to be copied and renamed?

i.e.:
    OXFLOG.Dat
    SyncLog.Dat

Quicken now charges a fee for version of software I do not need, and they take features away that are helpful. They are "dumbing down" their software, not allowing those who know what they are doing do it their way.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep, another example - remember how easy it used to be to easily understand and create renaming rules? Sometimes I think it has to do with a language barrier with the developers Quicken is using. It should be real easy to create a link to rename the QDF file.

Another example. Quicken started to improve the product. I would think that an improved product would be easier to use if it were developed properly. Instead it's more difficult for more to use, if and when it works without screwing something else up.  Is that really progress?

I think an indicator of this, is the number of posts created daily by users compared to 4 years ago and what have we netted? Some of the improvements are now even being discouraged by many from using. Example: Sync, and all the issues that came with that!

The day is coming when someone will create a spreadsheet financial program that won't necessarily be better than Quicken, but will sell by being "less worse" than Quicken!
This discussion has been closed.