Savings Goals do not show up in Budget Report

jimdarch
jimdarch Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I am using the Subscription version of Quicken for Windows.

In the Budget Planner I list Savings Goals as Assets (vs. income & expense). (This is done by the account selections in the Budget Planner, selecting them as Savings Goals, and instead of transfers in - transfers out.) After doing this the Savings Goals show up in the Budget Planner as a Savings Goals class at the bottom of the Budget Planner. It allows budgeting of Savings Goals contributions or withdrawals, and also records actual contributions or withdrawals under the Actuals column of the Planner. This part works great.

The Budget Report does not work so great. It shows all zeros for the savings goals budget entries - even for previous months, but does show actual contributions or withdrawals once the date is in the past, i.e. Quicken considers them already done. In the budget report settings the Savings Goal accounts are selected, and the report is set to include internal transfers.

The budget report worked fine for savings goals until recently. It seems to have changed after an upgrade to the program.

Does anyone know why the savings goals will not show on the Budget Report as part of the monthly budgeted amounts?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    jimdarch said:
    I am using the Subscription version of Quicken for Windows.

In the Budget Planner I list Savings Goals as Assets (vs. income & expense). (This is done by the account selections in the Budget Planner, selecting them as Savings Goals, and instead of transfers in - transfers out.) After doing this the Savings Goals show up in the Budget Planner as a Savings Goals class at the bottom of the Budget Planner. It allows budgeting of Savings Goals contributions or withdrawals, and also records actual contributions or withdrawals under the Actuals column of the Planner. This part works great.

The Budget Report does not work so great. It shows all zeros for the savings goals budget entries - even for previous months, but does show actual contributions or withdrawals once the date is in the past, i.e. Quicken considers them already done. In the budget report settings the Savings Goal accounts are selected, and the report is set to include internal transfers.

The budget report worked fine for savings goals until recently. It seems to have changed after an upgrade to the program.

Does anyone know why the savings goals will not show on the Budget Report as part of the monthly budgeted amounts?
    Hello @jimdarch

I am sorry to hear about any confusion or frustration experienced in relation to the Budget Reports feature. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

I am somewhat unclear about the exact nature of the issue. When you are creating these Budget Reports, are you doing so by going to the PLAN tab and then selecting Current Budget, or Historical Budget? Are you using another method to generate these reports? Also, what release version of Quicken are you currently running? You can check this by going to Help > About Quicken in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

I look forward to hearing your responses to these questions.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jimdarch
    jimdarch Member ✭✭
    I am at release R40.1 Build 27.1.40.21.
    I am using the Current Budget Report. I adjust the report for the custom dates (for instance, April 1 - May 31) then save it to My Saved Reports. That way I have an end of month report that shows actual vs budget for the previous month, and budget for the coming month. The problem is that budgeted savings goals amounts do not show on the Current Budget Report, but only show 0$.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited May 2022
    jimdarch said:
    I am at release R40.1 Build 27.1.40.21.
    I am using the Current Budget Report. I adjust the report for the custom dates (for instance, April 1 - May 31) then save it to My Saved Reports. That way I have an end of month report that shows actual vs budget for the previous month, and budget for the coming month. The problem is that budgeted savings goals amounts do not show on the Current Budget Report, but only show 0$.
    Hello @jimdarch,   

I do apologize that the resolution to this issue remains somewhat unclear at the moment. Thank you for keeping in communications with me about this problem. 

First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, open a new data file by going to File > New Quicken File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, select New Quicken File and click OK. Choose a file location and then click Save. Select Don't use mobile and web. In this new 'test' data file, try to create a Current Budget Report in the way you would do so normal circumstances.

I look forward to hearing about the results of adding savings goals in the test file. I hope to hear from you again, soon. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jimdarch
    jimdarch Member ✭✭
    Sorry it takes me so long between replies.

I followed your suggestion about creating a test file and test budget report. The budget report works correctly, i.e. the savings goal is reported correctly in the budget report. (I created a checking account with income deposits, and a budget with a few categories of expenses. I created one savings goal and contributed funds from the checking account. I created a current budget report and all figures showed up correctly, including the budgeted savings goal, as well as the actual savings goal contribution.)

That leaves me wondering how to fix my current file. I have run file repair on it and it passed successfully but did not correct the problem. I have a lot of financial data in it from starting from about Jan 2021. (I like to have a prior year in the file for comparisons and tax purposes.) To recap the situation - My savings goals show up as budget and actual in the budget planner, but the savings goal budgeted amounts will not show up on the current budget report.

Do you have any suggestions to correct this? Thanks - Jim
  • Quicken Jared
    jimdarch said:
    Sorry it takes me so long between replies.

I followed your suggestion about creating a test file and test budget report. The budget report works correctly, i.e. the savings goal is reported correctly in the budget report. (I created a checking account with income deposits, and a budget with a few categories of expenses. I created one savings goal and contributed funds from the checking account. I created a current budget report and all figures showed up correctly, including the budgeted savings goal, as well as the actual savings goal contribution.)

That leaves me wondering how to fix my current file. I have run file repair on it and it passed successfully but did not correct the problem. I have a lot of financial data in it from starting from about Jan 2021. (I like to have a prior year in the file for comparisons and tax purposes.) To recap the situation - My savings goals show up as budget and actual in the budget planner, but the savings goal budgeted amounts will not show up on the current budget report.

Do you have any suggestions to correct this? Thanks - Jim
    Hello @jimdarch

Thank you for following back up with me about this; I am happy to hear that there seems to have been some progress in the test file regarding the budget reports. I do apologize that this issue remains unresolved.

First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, try validating your data file by making use of the following instructions:

• Navigate to File
      • Select Validate and Repair File...
      • Select Validate File
      • Click OK
      • Close the Data Log
      • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
      • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
     If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I hope these steps are effective, and I look forward to hearing back from you about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jimdarch
    jimdarch Member ✭✭
    I think the problem is solved.
    I did validate and super-validate.
    After doing so I created a new Current Budget report. The budgeted savings categories displayed the budgeted amounts in the budget column of the report.
    Actual transfers to and from savings categories were not showing up. I altered the report settings on the Advanced tab, Transfers, and set it to "Exclude Self-Transfers". After doing that the actual internal transfers to and from savings goals display in the Actual column of the Budget Report.
    So now I have the savings goals amounts showing up in both the Budget column and the Actual column. This is exactly the result I have been trying to accomplish. Thank you for your help.
  • Quicken Jared
    jimdarch said:
    I think the problem is solved.
    I did validate and super-validate.
    After doing so I created a new Current Budget report. The budgeted savings categories displayed the budgeted amounts in the budget column of the report.
    Actual transfers to and from savings categories were not showing up. I altered the report settings on the Advanced tab, Transfers, and set it to "Exclude Self-Transfers". After doing that the actual internal transfers to and from savings goals display in the Actual column of the Budget Report.
    So now I have the savings goals amounts showing up in both the Budget column and the Actual column. This is exactly the result I have been trying to accomplish. Thank you for your help.
    Hello @jimdarch,     

I am happy to hear that everything now seems to be working as expected. Thank you for getting back to me about this to let me know about what steps you took to resolve this issue.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.