Error message when creating split transactions

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Memorized Split Transactions - Order Being Changed.

Comments

• C B
    C B Member ✭✭
    I have somewhat of a similar problem. The order of the split transactions are changed when I try to Enter the transaction. BUT WORSE, I get an error msg "There is no need to put a minus sign in the amount. QUICKEN has removed it for you automatically." Of course, going back to the split transaction, there is now a minus sign with an added entry line of Minis DOUBLE the amount to end up with a minus entry. Will not fix unless I delete the entire scheduled transaction now and in the future. THIS HAS HAPPENED FOR ALL MY SPLIT TRANSACTIONS. I have reloaded Quicken and validated the data file. This is a complete waste of time and started with one of your March updates.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    C B said:
    I have somewhat of a similar problem. The order of the split transactions are changed when I try to Enter the transaction. BUT WORSE, I get an error msg "There is no need to put a minus sign in the amount. QUICKEN has removed it for you automatically." Of course, going back to the split transaction, there is now a minus sign with an added entry line of Minis DOUBLE the amount to end up with a minus entry. Will not fix unless I delete the entire scheduled transaction now and in the future. THIS HAS HAPPENED FOR ALL MY SPLIT TRANSACTIONS. I have reloaded Quicken and validated the data file. This is a complete waste of time and started with one of your March updates.
    Hello @C B

I am sorry to hear about this issue with split transaction entry. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community. 

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

Also, when did this issue begin, and how often do you save backups? We recommend saving backups frequently by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, mentioned before. If this has been done often enough, there should be an available backups saved just prior to when this issue emerged that can be restored by going to File > Restore a Backup File...

I look forward to hearing back from you, and I hope to work with you on this issue further, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • C B
    C B Member ✭✭
    Jared,
    Thanks for your response. The Quicken Data file is in the Documents/Quicken folder.

This problem started back in March after a Quicken update. It happens to all my scheduled records with split transactions. I had just retyped the scheduled transactions to correct the issue, but now it seems to reoccur on "corrected" transactions. So its too late to do a Restore. Too much water under the bridge. I normally do backups 3-4 times a week, but I had a storage issue that was corrected in late April.
  • Quicken Jared
    C B said:
    Jared,
    Thanks for your response. The Quicken Data file is in the Documents/Quicken folder.

This problem started back in March after a Quicken update. It happens to all my scheduled records with split transactions. I had just retyped the scheduled transactions to correct the issue, but now it seems to reoccur on "corrected" transactions. So its too late to do a Restore. Too much water under the bridge. I normally do backups 3-4 times a week, but I had a storage issue that was corrected in late April.
    Hello @C B,     

I appreciate you getting back to me about this, and I am sorry that this issue is ongoing. I understand why restoring from a backup may not be an option in this case.

It sounds as though the data file has been validated. I recommend saving a backup, then proceeding through the instructions below to Super Validate the data file:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing your response after implementing these instructions.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick question, if I may:
    When you start entering a new transaction, do you first enter the total transaction amount into the Payment or Charge column (or a properly signed + or - number in the Amount column) or do you leave it at 0.00?
    I'm beginning to get the feeling that Quicken gets confused when trying to determine if this should be an Income or an Expense transaction. Once it's got that figured out correctly, then you can enter unsigned amounts in each Split line. Except, of course, if you record something like a paycheck with positive income and negative deductions.
  • C B
    C B Member ✭✭
    UKR
    The errors occur when using a scheduled split transaction from the Bill and Income Reminder window and not in the general account registry. The split transaction is built from each split line, and the total is generated at the end. It all seems to work properly in the generation and editing processes. When attempting to enter the transaction into the account register is when the split transactions sequence has changed, and the addition of a negative amount double the actual entered amount, ending up with a negative total.
    I have had a credit card account scheduled payment (not split) keep acting as an income transaction and generating a $ -xxx number. I had to completely delete and rebuild the current and future scheduled transactions for that account to fix it. Somehow the scheduled Bill Reminder that worked previously turned into an Income Reminder.
  • C B
    C B Member ✭✭
    JARED
    I have "super validated" the data file. The next split transaction Income Reminder that has not been used is for June 5, 2022 and I am not ready to enter that transaction yet. It was screwed up with 6 split transaction lines instead of the required 3, but this could have already been established before I executed the "super validation". I have also looked ahead at future split transaction reminders (both Bill and income), and they are currently all as they had been previously entered. (fingers crossed).
    I just executed a split transaction income reminder that worked correctly (this previously had added split transaction lines with changed order).
    What is different about the "super validation" and why isn't it better known?
  • Quicken Jared
    C B said:
    JARED
    I have "super validated" the data file. The next split transaction Income Reminder that has not been used is for June 5, 2022 and I am not ready to enter that transaction yet. It was screwed up with 6 split transaction lines instead of the required 3, but this could have already been established before I executed the "super validation". I have also looked ahead at future split transaction reminders (both Bill and income), and they are currently all as they had been previously entered. (fingers crossed).
    I just executed a split transaction income reminder that worked correctly (this previously had added split transaction lines with changed order).
    What is different about the "super validation" and why isn't it better known?
    @C B,   

I am sorry that this issue is continuing, even after a Super Validation has been tried. Thanks for continuing to discuss this with me, and for providing so much detail about what is happening.

While I do frequently recommend the Super Validation procedure - as do many other users and moderators - I acknowledge that it may seem less clear than the standard validation method. You can read more about Super Validation at the Quicken Help page, linked here.

Additionally, since this problem seems to be ongoing, one final troubleshooting option that is available would involve copying the data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

If you wish to proceed, you may then make use of the following steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    I hope this is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.