Scheduled Updates Don't Run

kathy234311
kathy234311 Member ✭✭✭
I have updates scheduled to run for all my accounts at 6 am each day of the week, and for some reason they've stopped running in recent weeks. Quicken is closed, Quicken Background Agent is enabled to run at startup, and I have updates set to prompt for password at Windows startup and know a recent update is not the issue (I expect it to wait for my password after updates). I've tried deselecting and reselecting all the scheduled days, and that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Have you checked Windows Apps>Startup to ensure it is still set to on? Does the agent show in the system tray?
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭✭
    GeoffG, I assume you mean the Quicken Background Agent? It is "enabled" in startup. If by the taskbar you mean the tray, no, nothing for Quicken shows there. Is that the problem?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    For clarity I've included two images for Windows 11 App>Startup showing the bagent.exe active. If you are on Windows 10, it will be similar. If you have the agent enabled like the example below and are not seeing the agent active during the time it is set to trigger, then the agent executable is somehow corrupted. I would suggest reinstalling Quicken over the existing instance and see if that reenables it.

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure MS is up to date because they have closed some holes because of malware showing up in the back door of scheduled transactions.
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭✭
    GeoffG, I'm on Win11, and the background is there and on in Apps/Startup, showing high impact. I'm attaching a screenshot of my update schedule window, in case I'm missing something--but it looks correct to me. Is the suggestion still to reinstall Quicken?
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭✭
    Sorry--I meant the background *agent* is there....
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The screenshot looks correct. Have you rebooted recently? If not, I would start there. You can also try setting the time to when you will be at the PC and see if the agent triggers for troubleshooting.
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭✭
    GeoffG--thank you SO much for hanging in with me on this troubleshooting!

I rebooted and entered my scheduler credential. Then I watched the screen at update time. Nothing appeared in a window, but the system tray showed a Quicken download error. When I opened it, the update summary window appeared, showing a CC-501 error on all my accounts. I then ran a manual update, and all the accounts updated. So maybe I'm getting a server error when the scheduler tries to run?

For additional troubleshooting: I've been having some other problems with updates lately (manual, since the scheduled one wasn't running or sometimes I forget to close Quicken). The most frequent problem was that a few accounts didn't update according to the summary (the date for them would be the previous day), but if I ran them manually & individually, they would. I've also seen something brief that said transactions were downloaded for a particular account, but then there wouldn't be any for it.

And in update summary, I have the box unchecked that limits the summary to the most recent update. I used to be able to scroll down and see previous updates, but lately I can see only the most recent one.

Overall, sounds like I've got some kind of updater corruption that's causing various bugs. Reinstall Quicken over current install? Or is there something else to try?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any download errors certainly will cause issues with bagent, but you should have received the error icon in the toolbar. I searched CC-501 and seems you need to contact support from this link...
    Error When Using Online Services: CC-501, CC-898, or "It's not your fault" (quicken.com)

Once you have the download errors resolved, hopefully your schedule will return to normal. If not, you can download Quicken and reinstall over the existing installation without issue. Don't uninstall first.
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭✭
    GeoffG--thanks again for all your help. For some bizarre reason, it ran as scheduled this morning. All I had done was change the time to later in the day so I could be at the computer yesterday (when I got the error).

The only thing I can think is that I do have one account that sometimes asks for two-step authentication when running an update, so maybe that was creating a problem. If so, it will happen again and maybe I can identify that as the issue.

But for now, I think we can consider this one resolved. Though I'm not sure whether this archive will be too helpful to anyone else in the future. :-) Thanks again! (No need to reply--I know you're busy.)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to be, a few years ago, that Scheduled Update would not "hang up indefinitely" if it encountered a problem with a bank requesting additional responses, like 2FA prompts, or other connectivity errors. Instead, it would stop the download process for this bank with a specific error code and continue on to the next bank in your list. In that case, you could use "Update Now" from the bank account register to retry the download while you were at the computer.
    Looks to me like that process has gone by the wayside ...
    I recommend that you stop using Scheduled Update and, instead, run One Step Update manually after starting Quicken, at your convenience and while you're at the computer, ready to intervene if some unexpected prompt comes up.
This discussion has been closed.