After a One step download, my mortgage account is now trying to do a foreign currency transfer??

DeeBee150
DeeBee150 Member
I have an automatic transaction set up for my mortgage. After the date of the payment, when I open Quicken I get a Popup asking me to do a Foreign Currency Transfer... IF I ignore the popup, my mortgage account does not reflect the payment, so I have to edit that transaction and once again I get the foreign currency transfer popup. I accept the transfer with a 1 (par) value and the payment goes to the mortgage.

How can I get this account back to the way it was prior to this One step Download (Which I rarely use)

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    @Deebee150 - is it possible for you to send a screen shot of that pop up box?  Also please check Edit->Preferences->Calendar and Currency to see if "Multicurrency support" is checked. 

If it is, don't uncheck (not yet).  Hold down your Ctrl Key and hit Q (Ctrl+Q).  It will bring up a currency list.  Match sure that the green checkmark under the column "Home" is by U.S. Dollar.  You might need to scroll down a bit to see.  If the green checkmark is not by U.S. Dollar, then click on that entry and hit the "Home" key at the bottom of the list.  After this is done, go back to "Multicurrency support and uncheck it.

[EDIT - Since learning the user is using the Canadian version of Quicken H&B, the Canadian Dollar would be the "Home" currency, not the US Dollar.]

If it isn't then, something else is going on.  I would suggest contacting Quicken Support.

• DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    As per my screenshot, there isn't anything about currency (even though it's called Calendar and currency).
    I guess I will contact support.
    Thanks
  • Thanks @Deebee150.  Please report back after you contact them and let us know what you find out.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?
    Is your subscription expired or still active?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.

• DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    Quicken Home & Business
    Version R40.28
    Build 27.1.40.28
    Edition Canada
    Active subscription
  • DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    WELLLL Support was a total waste of time. It happens that the one-step update changed my mortgage account to USD and there is nothing I can do about it (After wasting an hour with chat support)
  • @ukr - Can this discussion be updated and moved to reflect that it is for Quicken Canada?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    @ukr - Can this discussion be updated and moved to reflect that it is for Quicken Canada?
    Category changes cannot be performed by a lowly Superuser. I'll "Flag" this discussion to the attention of a moderator, including a hint that this looks like a bug to me.
  • @ukr - Thanks!
  • Terry Brauen
    Terry Brauen Member ✭✭✭
    > @DeeBee150 said:
    > I have an automatic transaction set up for my mortgage. After the date of the payment, when I open Quicken I get a Popup asking me to do a Foreign Currency Transfer... IF I ignore the popup, my mortgage account does not reflect the payment, so I have to edit that transaction and once again I get the foreign currency transfer popup. I accept the transfer with a 1 (par) value and the payment goes to the mortgage.
    >
    > How can I get this account back to the way it was prior to this One step Download (Which I rarely use)

I am also using Canadian Quicken H&B - all the same versions as @DeeBee150. I'm having the same issue. I just setup up a new mortgage and starting using One Step the same day (had not used it for years prior). It is not just the mortgage that is impacted - I also got a conversion window for a credit card payment & ended up having to use an exchange rate of 1.00. I have no ability to select any currency preferences.
  • DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    I'm glad that it's not just me and it's really a bug in the software. I tried with chat support but only wasted my time. After over an hour of sending error files back and forth he said there was nothing he could do. If you ever get a different answer please let me know!!!
  • Terry Brauen
    Terry Brauen Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, they seem to have overlooked their Canadian customers here. Here is what I've done. 1) Shut off One Step for bank downloads 2) deleted the 'connected' mortgage account and recreated a manual loan 3) since One Step had broken the connection to my existing two bank accounts so I could no longer manually download to them, retired the old accounts and created two new accounts for that institution and manually copied over the last months transactions for each 4) updated all the payment reminders to reflect the new accounts. Hopefully I don't forget this lesson in the future and fall for the One Step trap again. Good luck.
  • DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    On my side the Mortgage account has been set up back in 2013 so there is NO way I will delete it and start over.

I also shut off the One-Step update.

I've had no choice but to accept the fact that I will have to use that foreign currency (USD)transfer pop up at par (1) for every mortgage payments from now on so the the amount is reflected at the mortgage's actual balance.

I know that the Canadian market is smaller, but I find that Quicken's administration and tech support has gone downhill for us Canadians since they were bought by HIG Capital.

I've also had to turn off the sync to online cloud because of an ongoing error that has plagued the software for the past months...

I might "call" support when I have time to waste...
  • Terry Brauen
    Terry Brauen Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah - I share your concerns. My 'solution' probably isn't the last of my problems as I see some signs that the software is still treating some of my accounts as US currency - I'll only know as I deal with transfers in the future.

What is required is the option to designate a currency for each account, which I believe is a function we used to have in 'Edit account details'??? The software still allows you to designate that when you create a new account. As per the comment you received from @Damian above, my guess is that the capability has somehow disappeared from the Canadian version.

@ukr - I saw your comment re flagging this as a bug, so adding my issues to the evidence.

Thanks, Terry.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    @terry brauen - your comment made me think of something to try.  If you do a Ctrl+Q what happens?  If it happens to bring up the Currency List, you would be able to change your "Home" currency to the Canadian Dollar.
  • Terry Brauen
    Terry Brauen Member ✭✭✭
    @Damian - thanks for the reply.

I must add that I am not completely clear on what is occurring. I have at least one transaction from early April from the chequing account I retired that seems to now be treating a split value as US$. It shows in the originating transaction correctly as $57.06 and shows up in the category report as $72.68.

Ctrl-Q does bring up the currency list and show me the rates, interestingly enough, relative to the Canadian$, but I'm not sure how I can apply that as a global or account parameter. If you can advise me how I might set that for the retired account, that may correct the transaction I'm looking at.

Thanks, Terry
  • @Terry Brauen - If you see the green checkmark by the Canadian Dollar, that is supposed to set your default (or Home) currency to Canadian Dollar.  If it is set as such, and these errors are occurring, then that would point to a bug in programming, or data file corruption.  Another explanation would be that an update changed the default currency to the US Dollar, and then another update changed it back to Canadian Dollar.  In between, it could have caused something else to happen.  But who really knows?  Quicken Tech Support needs to do some investigating, solving, and fixing.  Both you and @Deebee150 need to report this issue and contact Quicken Support to get the resolution and fix for this issue officially noted.
  • DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    I've contacted support and wasted over an hour just to get him to say that the account was in US currency and there was anything he could do about it.

He tried to blame it on my bank's server but I argued the fact that the account was created in 2013 and was fine PRIOR to that One-step update that screwed everything over.

All I got is Thank you for contacting support... :(
  • @deebee150 - the other thing you can do is "Report a Problem" found under "Help".  I know this seems futile, but document everything you can.  Maybe your data file is corrupted and there's not much that can be done, but you have a valid issue.  It would be to Quicken, Inc.'s benefit to research this issue, find out why this happened.  It could be a bug in programming that caused the issue.  When you send the issue, please include all the documentation you can.
  • Terry Brauen
    Terry Brauen Member ✭✭✭
    Good morning. I do not have a green check mark for currency, and the 'Use' button on the Currency List does not trigger one. I have reported the problem, and included a link to this conversation as a description of the problem. Thanks.
  • Do you have a "Home" button?  That is what makes a currency a default and puts the green checkmark in the "Home" column.
  • Terry Brauen
    Terry Brauen Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, the Home button is there and all indications are that the accounts are in Canadian dollars, but still no green check mark, and my currency list does not have a "Home" column. Note that I do have one US account and entering a test balance transaction there works - the software converts it to Canadian dollars as seen on the Home page summary. One Step seems to have caused a currency problem, but having disabled it and made the changes listed above, I still only have one persistent example transaction so far - as time goes on I am anticipating transactions that request a forex conversion and I'll report them here as and if they occur.
  • Terry Brauen
    Terry Brauen Member ✭✭✭
    For thoroughness, I'll restate that I have no effective ability to select currency, no multi-currency toggle, no currency section under "/edit/preferences/Calendar and currency'.
  • DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    Same here by the way!

"no effective ability to select currency, no multi-currency toggle, no currency section under "/edit/preferences/Calendar and currency'."

Support was asking the same question. It seems that the Canadian version has some missing options!
  • DeeBee150
    DeeBee150 Member
    The inserted image is actually the Calendar AND currency tab. As you can see there is NOTHING about currency
This discussion has been closed.