File Validate keeps pinging on a Stock Split transaction

Options
MattT
MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Investing (Windows)
This has been going on for years, but whenever I validate my Q file, I get:
  • Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "AccountName", security "FIDELITY SELECT RETAILING", on 5/11/2018 that might be missing.
The subject transaction is there and is entered correctly.  I even went back to Fidelity's announcement of the split in 2018 to see if I missed any information that Q might be looking for in the transaction, but found none.

I saw another user's complaint here about this very message dated a few years ago in which the only answer that was not a guess was essentially... if the transaction is okay in Quicken, then ignore it.  This has been my approach ever since 2018 when I tried to determine what the problem was; I'd just like to get a completely clean validation again... LOL

Any assistance appreciated.

TIA
Matt

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ISTR a similar situation with one of my stocks a few years ago. The issue turned out to be a difference between the date I used to record the Stock Split transaction in Quicken and the date the brokerage actually recorded the split. Adjusting my transaction date made the message go away.
    If the brokerage downloaded an "Add Shares" transaction instead of a "Stock Split", you may also get this messages ... I'm guessing here ...
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    UKR, interesting thought about "Add Shares".  When I researched back to 2018 on my Fidelity history, I seem to recall now that posted transaction described the transaction as a split, but the mechanics appeared just to add shares to the account total (e.g. +933 shares) and the post-split share value took care of the dollar reconciliation.

I'll have to try substituting the split transaction for an "add share" and see if that makes everyone happy.  Fidelity has been very very good about downloading proper transactions (meaning I typically never have to change anything in QW to keep every thing true and accurate), but every so often Fidelity throws a curveball in there, and this looks like a perfect opportunity for them to have done so... LOL

TU
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    UKR, yes, changing Q transaction from "Stock Split" to "Shares Added" resolved the Validation message.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ISTR a similar situation with one of my stocks a few years ago. The issue turned out to be a difference between the date I used to record the Stock Split transaction in Quicken and the date the brokerage actually recorded the split. Adjusting my transaction date made the message go away.
    If the brokerage downloaded an "Add Shares" transaction instead of a "Stock Split", you may also get this messages ... I'm guessing here ...
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    UKR, interesting thought about "Add Shares".  When I researched back to 2018 on my Fidelity history, I seem to recall now that posted transaction described the transaction as a split, but the mechanics appeared just to add shares to the account total (e.g. +933 shares) and the post-split share value took care of the dollar reconciliation.

I'll have to try substituting the split transaction for an "add share" and see if that makes everyone happy.  Fidelity has been very very good about downloading proper transactions (meaning I typically never have to change anything in QW to keep every thing true and accurate), but every so often Fidelity throws a curveball in there, and this looks like a perfect opportunity for them to have done so... LOL

TU
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    UKR, yes, changing Q transaction from "Stock Split" to "Shares Added" resolved the Validation message.
  • Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I started a new file in 2021 after using Quicken for 30 years.  There were some issues going on and tech support say I try a new file as a test and the download issues weren't there anymore when I did that.  I decided to just start a file from scratch and download all my info from investment companies and banks.  All is set up and running perfectly and balances to a T past year.  

I ran a validation after reading a post about that and I cleaned up a couple of items that were an easy fix.  Three items remain for missing stock splits.  On the two holdings with stock splits missing it appears that Quicken downloaded the holdings, with a purchase date and cost for ALL the shares.  The share totals and costs add up to be correct in total but the split transactions are missing as it appears they averaged them over the purchase price for all the current shares.  All of these are long term holdings so it doesn't effect anything except it shows up when running the validation on  the file.  

One holding is 20 years old, with buys and sell,splits and mergers that Quicken just combined for the cost basis.  The total cost basis for all the shares in Quicken matches the cost basis for all the shares in Vanguard.  It would be a little complicated and time consuming to rectify that just to satisfy Quicken when running validation.  There were lots of buying and selling of this stock 20 years ago (a little churning going on then).  Is there any easier way to go in and fix without adding every buy and sell since Quicken already has the share total and cost correct? One answer above says just leave it and I tend to want to go with that but thought I would ask again.