Navy Federal - transactions downloading, not appearing for review

Stacy L
Stacy L Member ✭✭
This has been happening off and on for the past couple of weeks. I run One-Step Update and upon completion, receive a summary that says; e.g., "10 transactions downloaded. No transactions to review". That was two days ago. Today's update gave me "18 transactions downloaded" - didn't say anything about transactions to review. The red flag popped up briefly to let me know I had items to review but as soon as I clicked the account, the flag disappeared. I've checked all the usual places transactions like to "hide" and they just flat-out aren't in my file. This is frustrating as all get-out, as Quicken also seems to be ignoring these transactions when I manually import them from a .QIF file as well.

I've "repaired and validated" the file multiple times. I've disabled and re-enabled automatic downloading of transactions (I usually have it off). I've made sure my transactions are sorted by date so they aren't "hiding". They flat-out aren't there, even though I have screen shots of Quicken saying they've been downloading. Help!

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Stacy L said:
    This has been happening off and on for the past couple of weeks. I run One-Step Update and upon completion, receive a summary that says; e.g., "10 transactions downloaded. No transactions to review". That was two days ago. Today's update gave me "18 transactions downloaded" - didn't say anything about transactions to review. The red flag popped up briefly to let me know I had items to review but as soon as I clicked the account, the flag disappeared. I've checked all the usual places transactions like to "hide" and they just flat-out aren't in my file. This is frustrating as all get-out, as Quicken also seems to be ignoring these transactions when I manually import them from a .QIF file as well.

I've "repaired and validated" the file multiple times. I've disabled and re-enabled automatic downloading of transactions (I usually have it off). I've made sure my transactions are sorted by date so they aren't "hiding". They flat-out aren't there, even though I have screen shots of Quicken saying they've been downloading. Help!
    Hello @Stacy L,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with transaction downloads. Thank you for bringing this matter to the Quicken Community. 

What connection method are you making use of, currently? You can check this anytime by navigating to Tools > Account List and then clicking the Edit button in the row(s) associated with the affected accounts in the window that follows. Next, navigate to the Online Services tab; the connection method should be listed here. Also, where is your current active data file located? You can check this item by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

If you have the chance, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the same menu mentioned previously, then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. You may then link your Navy Federal account(s), exclusively, and attempt to download transactions as you would normally; I am interested in determining whether or not this behavior continues in the test file.

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Stacy L
    Stacy L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Thanks for responding. I'm using Express Web Connect - that's the only option, and the file is on my C: drive. I created a test file and Quicken downloaded all of the transactions through 6/2, and did NOT download the six transactions that posted on 6/3. All transactions for the CC account in both files are the same.

HOWEVER - and here's something odd - while in my usual file the balance without the additional six transactions does not match my online balance - it's off by $264.13, the account balance in the test file matches my online balance. It is NOT off by $264.13. When I looked at the transactions, at the very top (I've only had the account for a month), there is a 5/4 transaction of "Opening Balance" of $264.13 - that just happens to be the total for all transactions posted on 6/3.

This all makes zero sense. I have not idea who is doing what wrong at this point.

FWIW, both my checking and savings accounts downloaded properly - all transactions present and Quicken balances reconcile with online balances.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited June 2022
    Stacy L said:
    Thanks for responding. I'm using Express Web Connect - that's the only option, and the file is on my C: drive. I created a test file and Quicken downloaded all of the transactions through 6/2, and did NOT download the six transactions that posted on 6/3. All transactions for the CC account in both files are the same.

HOWEVER - and here's something odd - while in my usual file the balance without the additional six transactions does not match my online balance - it's off by $264.13, the account balance in the test file matches my online balance. It is NOT off by $264.13. When I looked at the transactions, at the very top (I've only had the account for a month), there is a 5/4 transaction of "Opening Balance" of $264.13 - that just happens to be the total for all transactions posted on 6/3.

This all makes zero sense. I have not idea who is doing what wrong at this point.

FWIW, both my checking and savings accounts downloaded properly - all transactions present and Quicken balances reconcile with online balances.
    Hello @Stacy L,       

I appreciate you getting back to me with the answers to my previous questions, and with the results from making use of those troubleshooting steps. I am sorry that this issue remains unclear, for the moment.

Have you recently deleted any transactions that would have been downloaded again after the most recent One Step Update? Also, do you know if the connection method might have changed? 

If possible, try restoring from a backup saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. I am curious if the Opening Balance is incorrect in restored files.

I hope to hear from you soon. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Stacy L
    Stacy L Member ✭✭
    I haven't deleted any transactions and Express Web Connect is my only option at NFCU, so the connection method hasn't changed.

There is no Opening Balance in any of my backups (checked six over the past month). An Opening Balance only showed up when I created a brand new Quicken file from scratch and added the accounts that way.

One thing I did notice was when I restored from the backups, I got a dialog box that said, "It appears one or more account(s) at Navy Federal Credit Union have been deleted. This could happen if you have restored from a backup file. You must add the account(s) to Quicken again. Select Fix It to resolve this error." The accounts were listed in my file but I had to reconnect to NFCU and relink them to get anything to download. I didn't have to do this with any other accounts from my other financial institutions.
  • Stacy L
    Stacy L Member ✭✭
    Bottom line is, I don't know why my NFCU credit card transactions intermittently download to my account. They've posted online, but can't seem to make it to my Quicken account. I've contacted NFCU and they said for me to contact you and also gave ridiculous advice like clearing my browser cache. If Quicken can confirm for me (with some sort of hard evidence) that the issue is on their end, I can go back armed with that info. Otherwise I guess I'm just generally out of luck until the problem somehow hopefully resolves itself. Thanks.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited June 2022
    Stacy L said:
    Bottom line is, I don't know why my NFCU credit card transactions intermittently download to my account. They've posted online, but can't seem to make it to my Quicken account. I've contacted NFCU and they said for me to contact you and also gave ridiculous advice like clearing my browser cache. If Quicken can confirm for me (with some sort of hard evidence) that the issue is on their end, I can go back armed with that info. Otherwise I guess I'm just generally out of luck until the problem somehow hopefully resolves itself. Thanks.
    Hello @Stacy L

I am sorry that this issue is continuing even after all of these troubleshooting steps, and that the source of the problem still seems to be in question. Thank you for continuing to work with me on this.

Have you tried editing the Opening Balance in the original file? Also, have you started using a Virtual Private Network (VPN), new firewall settings, pop-up blockers, or any anti-virus software within the last couple of weeks? Sometimes these can cause issues with connectivity that prevent transactions from downloading; it may be necessary to turn these items off or remove them. 

If you have already attempted to validate and then supervalidate the data file, and the above do not seem to apply or otherwise resolve the problem, it may be worth attempting to copy the data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    I hope this is helpful, and I hope to hear from you again about this matter. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.