Having trouble with Capital One Card Services sync

Skylab
Skylab Member
When I try to sync this account, it opens a web page for the Capital One login (https://verified.capitalone.com/auth/signin#/signin). After I sign in, it just goes to my account summary; Quicken doesn't seem to recognize the auth.

If I try to reset my connection or change the connection type, I sign in in the browser & authorize my card, but then Quicken shows an "Institution Login Sync Error", BID = 7492.

Has anyone else seen this, and do you know how to fix or work around? I haven't been able to sync my account since around May 21, 2022.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Skylab said:
    When I try to sync this account, it opens a web page for the Capital One login (https://verified.capitalone.com/auth/signin#/signin). After I sign in, it just goes to my account summary; Quicken doesn't seem to recognize the auth.

If I try to reset my connection or change the connection type, I sign in in the browser & authorize my card, but then Quicken shows an "Institution Login Sync Error", BID = 7492.

Has anyone else seen this, and do you know how to fix or work around? I haven't been able to sync my account since around May 21, 2022.
    Hello @Skylab,

I am sorry to hear about these issues with BID errors. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

Are you currently making use of any active firewalls, pop-up blockers, antivirus software, or Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)? If so, it may be necessary to remove these, as they can occasionally cause error codes of the kind you are describing.

Also, where is your current data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is being stored locally and not on an external storage device or cloud-based storage service. 

I look forward to working with you further on this issue if necessary, and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Skylab
    Skylab Member
    I'm not using any firewalls, blockers, VPN, etc.

The file is on my local drive, in /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents.

None of these things have changed since a few months ago, when normal updates for this account stopped working, nor since a few weeks ago when the workaround (change connection type) stopped working.
  • Quicken Jared
    Skylab said:
    I'm not using any firewalls, blockers, VPN, etc.

The file is on my local drive, in /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents.

None of these things have changed since a few months ago, when normal updates for this account stopped working, nor since a few weeks ago when the workaround (change connection type) stopped working.
    Hello @Skylab,     

Thanks for providing the answers to my earlier questions. I am sorry that this issue is continuing. 

First, save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch, then click Next
    4. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location, then click Next
    5. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web, then click Next 

You may then add exclusively your Capital One affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as you normally would. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file.

I look forward to knowing more about the results of this troubleshooting recommendation. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • Skylab
    Skylab Member
    It worked fine when I started from scratch. Obviously I don't want to do that as a solution, but does this point towards a way I can fix the problem in my existing file?
  • Quicken Jared
    Skylab said:
    It worked fine when I started from scratch. Obviously I don't want to do that as a solution, but does this point towards a way I can fix the problem in my existing file?
    Hello @Skylab

Thank you for following up with me about your results from making use of the test file. I am sorry for the continuing frustration this issue is causing.

I understand entirely why using this test file is undesirable. One other option is to restore from a backup saved just prior to when this issue emerged. We recommend saving backups often by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. If this has been done regularly, you may restore from an available backup by going to File > Restore from Backup... in the same menu mentioned previously. You may search available backups by navigating to Show Backups in Finder in the same menu, as well.

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to reach out with additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • npvb
    npvb Member
    I am having the same issue and am curious - did restoring a backup work?
  • MS79
    MS79 Member
    I'm having the same issue and I was able to open with a test file. What should I do now?
  • Skylab
    Skylab Member
    I was able to recover proper functionality by doing the following:

1. I restored from an old backup - around January 2022, I believe.
    2. Tried to sync accounts. It told me I would have to reset my Quicken Cloud account (I forget the exact wording). I said ok.
    3. Re-connected the bad account, to make sure it worked; it did. But it only synced from March, so I would have lost some data. [I don't know if you need to do this step.]
    4. Re-opened my normal file.
    5. Tried to sync accounts. I was prompted to reset my Quicken Cloud account again. I did so.
    6. Each account was then marked as failing, with a "Reconnect" button. I hit the reconnect button, and basically re-entered my login data for each account. [Note: I had to do this for each account, even if I had multiple accounts with the same bank. Kind of painful, but at least it worked.]

All of my accounts are now syncing.

I suspect the key part was resetting my Quicken Cloud account, so that all of my connections were started from scratch. Maybe there's a way to do this without restoring from a very old backup, but I don't see an obvious way.

Hope this helps!
  • Quicken Jared
    Skylab said:
    I was able to recover proper functionality by doing the following:

1. I restored from an old backup - around January 2022, I believe.
    2. Tried to sync accounts. It told me I would have to reset my Quicken Cloud account (I forget the exact wording). I said ok.
    3. Re-connected the bad account, to make sure it worked; it did. But it only synced from March, so I would have lost some data. [I don't know if you need to do this step.]
    4. Re-opened my normal file.
    5. Tried to sync accounts. I was prompted to reset my Quicken Cloud account again. I did so.
    6. Each account was then marked as failing, with a "Reconnect" button. I hit the reconnect button, and basically re-entered my login data for each account. [Note: I had to do this for each account, even if I had multiple accounts with the same bank. Kind of painful, but at least it worked.]

All of my accounts are now syncing.

I suspect the key part was resetting my Quicken Cloud account, so that all of my connections were started from scratch. Maybe there's a way to do this without restoring from a very old backup, but I don't see an obvious way.

Hope this helps!
    Hello @Skylab,    

Thank you so much for taking the time to update us on these new developments, and for including so much detail about your path to resolution. I am happy to hear that things seem to be functioning as expected, once again.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • John44
    John44 Member ✭✭✭
    I have a question. Do you have to reset the Quicken cloud account and reconnect each account every time you restore from a backup?
  • Skylab
    Skylab Member
    I think you'll only need to reset the cloud account if the two backups are too far apart in time, such that the data in the cloud account is incompatible. I had to reset when changing from 12/2021 to 4/2022, but I believe not when changing from 4/2022 to 6/2022 (for example).

But, I didn't do all that much testing, so I can't say for sure what the criteria are that cause Quicken to prompt you to reset the cloud account.
This discussion has been closed.