How to delete erroneous transfer entries from split transactions

Options
KiltedAPOI
KiltedAPOI Member ✭✭
I have a recurring paycheck set up. As part of it, I have retirement contributions being registered in a separate account. I have discovered that I have had some of these going into the wrong account. I need to know how to delete them from the retirement account register. When I try, I get "This transaction was created as a transfer from a split transaction. In order to change it. you must go to the source transaction by using 'Go To matching transfer' from the Edit button." Even after doing so, there's still a zero transaction showing in the retirement account register.

Comments

• aksonya
    aksonya Member ✭✭
    Options
    You have to go to your original paycheck and manually edit each transaction.
    In the register > find a paycheck date that needs to be edited > In the Category column choose the green check mark. > you will see all of your deduction, go to the correct entry and edit.

I hope that helps
  • KiltedAPOI
    KiltedAPOI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Actually, I've been able to update the split transactions in the checking register at once using the Find & Replace function in the Reports menu. In the retirement account register, the corresponding transactions are zeroed (blanked, actually) but not removed. Those transactions in the retirement account register also still show the retirement account, but grayed out so that it cannot be changed. So, I have transactions in the retirement account register which shouldn't be there, but cannot be removed or edited to reflect the correction.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually, I've been able to update the split transactions in the checking register at once using the Find & Replace function in the Reports menu. In the retirement account register, the corresponding transactions are zeroed (blanked, actually) but not removed. Those transactions in the retirement account register also still show the retirement account, but grayed out so that it cannot be changed. So, I have transactions in the retirement account register which shouldn't be there, but cannot be removed or edited to reflect the correction.
    Hello @KiltedAPOI

I am sorry to hear about this problem with split transactions. Thank you for working with us on this problem here on the Quicken Community.

First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You can then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted.

Next, add your non-Charles Schwab affiliated account(s) by clicking the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand portion of the screen. Finally, try adding split transactions and then editing them as you normally would; I want to know if this is being replicated in the test data file. 

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.