Quicken Crashes On Startup

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken crashes on startup after latest update.

Comments

• Ksquared13
    Ksquared13 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue after 41.10 patch. Any success in resolving this?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue after 41.10 patch. Any success in resolving this?
    Hello @Ksqaured13

I am sorry to hear about this issue with crashes that seems to be affecting you, as well. Thank you for asking about this problem here in this Quicken Community discussion.

If you have also made use of the troubleshooting steps listed by @smeans in the initial comment that started the thread, and the symptoms are continuing, I recommend reaching out to Quicken Support using the contact information provided in this link. They have resources available at their disposal that will help them further troubleshoot this problem. It may be necessary to escalate the issue with a Tier 2 agent.

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • If you are hesitant to call Quicken Customer Support, if you haven't done so already, at least please send an error report.  It is my understanding that they take note of these crashes.
  • Ksquared13
    Ksquared13 Member ✭✭
    I determined that my file is good by installing Quicken on my wife's Windows 11 laptop which opens it without crashing.

I found a workaround on my computer which is to run the mondo patch QW27.1.41.10MPatch.EXE and start Quicken from the Update successful prompt - this opens my file without crashing. If I close at the Update successful prompt and then try to run Quicken it crashes when opening my file.

What is the difference between running Quicken from the Update Program and running it directly?
  • Ksquared13
    Ksquared13 Member ✭✭
    The answer to my question: What is the difference between running Quicken from the Update Program and running it directly?

The install runs with elevated privileges.

Right-clicking on the Quicken desktop shortcut then selecting "Run as Administrator" opens the file without crashing, but gives this message in this screenshot
  • Ksquared13
    Ksquared13 Member ✭✭
    My file is stored in a folder to which my user has Full Control.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    My file is stored in a folder to which my user has Full Control.
    Can you be a little more specific, please?
    Show us the complete drive letter, path and file name, e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF
    Not all folders on a Windows system are permitted to contain data files.
    Only internal hard drives or SSDs are supported.
    The folder containing the data file must not be processed by cloud backup software (One Drive, Dropbox, etc)

• Ksquared13
    Ksquared13 Member ✭✭
    My file is stored in D:\Quicken
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    My file is stored in D:\Quicken
    Hello @Ksquared13

Thank you for getting back to us about this. I am sorry for any frustration this issue has caused.

Since you mentioned that your data file is stored on D drive, please be advised that this is still considered an external drive. We recommend storing Quicken on the local C drive to avoid data file corruption issues as such issues can occur when storing data files on external drives (even if the external drive is not cloud-based).

By default, Quicken data files are stored in the following pathway; C:\Users\"Username"\Documents\Quicken (see illustration below).

This may prevent the emergence of any further issues. I also want to be sure: have you already attempted to uninstall the program, remove Quicken from the program (x86) folder, and then reinstall it? For reference, you can find proper instructions for uninstalling - and then reinstalling - the program here and here, respectively. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.