How do I download index option prices?

SomebodyInGNV
SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I understand the format for option symbols but not index option symbols. I bought an option which Fidelity downloaded to Quicken as XSP220715C380 (or is it "-XSP220715C380", with leading hyphen?) and included the CUSIP. But the price doesn't update.

What is the general format for index option symbols?
Tagged:

Answers

• When you set up this security on Quicken and entered the ticker or fund ID, did it match with a security available on Quicken?  If so, then it should update with Quicken's pricing feed.  If not, then I would ask Fidelity how prices get updated for this security.  The other way for this security to be priced is through the update file from Fidelity.
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    Fidelity sends yesterday's price. I can't find a symbol that works to download routinely.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    Even if Fidelity sends yesterday's price, does the price get updated automatically?  I think this makes sense for this type of security.  Today's price gets updated in the Fidelity update file and gets transmitted the next day and therefore the price is delayed by one day.  There are several types of investments that get priced via the FI's update file and not the regular pricing feed -- CDs, Annuities, Insurance Products to name a few.  The CUSIP is the best fund ID for these types of funds because that is what usually identifies them in the update file.  I would verify with Fidelity what Fund ID or CUSIP they use to identify this fund.
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    I understand where CDs, annuities and insurance products are updated by the FI because their value is determined only by the FI, not on the open market. For things that are traded routinely on exchanges, though, and prices are available from multiple public sources, I assumed prices would be updated from those public sources.

Does ANY version of QWin update option prices intraday?

Where do I find the log files? I thought I recalled them being accessible through a menu but now can't find that.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @somebodyinGNV - to access the log files, go to Help->Contact support

The key to getting prices to update intraday is to find the correct fund ID.  And even you have the correct fund ID, if it's not available on Quicken, then it will not price at all from Quicken's pricing update.
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the log file info. Using that, I found the option in the Fidelity section of the OFX log. It's obviously identified there by CUSIP, which I thought was the case. The symbol found on https://www.cboe.com/delayed_quotes/xsp is XSP220715C00380000.

How do I determine if a price is "available on Quicken"?

When I do an update>quotes from the investing tab, in which log will I find that activity?
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    > @SomebodyInGNV said:
    > The symbol found on https://www.cboe.com/delayed_quotes/xsp is XSP220715C00380000.

I was under the impression the alpha symbol should be padded to 5 characters using trailing spaces. That would make it:

'XSP 220715C00380000'

But that doesn't work, either.
  • @somebodyinGNV - are you simply wanting to add the index "XSP" to Quicken?
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    > @Damian said:
    > are you simply wanting to add the index "XSP" to Quicken?

No, that's Index:XSP. I'm still hoping to get intraday prices for the July 15th 380 call option for that index. I gather that Quicken doesn't have it but am uncertain if I'm just using the wrong symbol.
  • > @Damian said:
    > are you simply wanting to add the index "XSP" to Quicken?

No, that's Index:XSP. I'm still hoping to get intraday prices for the July 15th 380 call option for that index. I gather that Quicken doesn't have it but am uncertain if I'm just using the wrong symbol.
    Then I would ask Fidelity what the correct fund ID to use is.  That is key.  Even if you have the correct fund ID that doesn't guarantee that Quicken would have it on their price feed.  From the information I could find, I doubt that you would be able to get intraday prices on Quicken for this investment.

This discussion has been closed.