DEP replaces check numbers I've entered in Checking Account transactions

REHarding
REHarding Member ✭✭
Quicken is now replacing deposit transaction "check numbers" with "DEP" in my checking account register. If I put the original number back in, at some point later DEP reappears. I have twice talked with Quicken technicians who have had me try different things, none of which have provided a permanent solution.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    REHarding said:
    Quicken is now replacing deposit transaction "check numbers" with "DEP" in my checking account register. If I put the original number back in, at some point later DEP reappears. I have twice talked with Quicken technicians who have had me try different things, none of which have provided a permanent solution.
    Hello @REHarding

I am sorry about this issue with unwanted and missing transaction information appearing in the register. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance.

First, I want to confirm that you are using a current Quicken subscription product. Also: is this happening in multiple accounts associated with multiple financial institutions?

When did this issue occur? You could try restoring from a backup saved just prior to when this issue emerged. Be sure to save backups often by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this is done regularly, there should be a recent backup available for restoration by navigating to File > Restore from Backup... in the same menu mentioned previously. I am eager to hear if this behavior continues in a restored backup file. 

I hope to hear back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • REHarding
    REHarding Member ✭✭
    This is happening in only one account. Yes, I did go to a backup, but it continues to happen. It is an annoyance, but I can live with it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you Syncing your data file to the Mobile or Web apps?
    If so, this might be where the override is coming in. The transaction download process is not supposed to overwrite an existing register transaction's data fields with downloaded data ...
    OK, I'm guessing here ... but if you could turn off Sync for the time being, this would tell us if Sync messing up your data or if the situation recurs later.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious.   These are deposits in your checking account?  I would think the check number or reference column would only be for check numbers of checks you wrote and paid.  I put the check number of a deposit in the memo field.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• REHarding
    REHarding Member ✭✭
    You can use "check numbers" on any transaction, not just checks. It's just a way of sequencing your transactions. I've done it for over thirty years with quicken without a problem until recently.
  • REHarding
    REHarding Member ✭✭
    UKB, thank you. As you suspected, it seems that syncing is causing my issue. Looking back, the problem started about the same time I started using the mobile app and started syncing. I can do without the mobile app! It is cumbersome and limited, and my computer is usually by my side.
This discussion has been closed.