Half a transaction suddenly Missing

Options
Wayne Kurtz
Wayne Kurtz Member ✭✭
My checking account was reconciled with zero difference last week. Suddenly this week the reconciliation was off $200--my register showed $200 more than the bank. After extensive searching I found the checking account register was missing a credit card payment from 20 months ago, but the payment still showed in the credit card register. In the credit card register, when I tried to go to the matching transaction, I got a message that the matching transaction was with an account that no longer existed, but it was my current checking account. I entered the transaction into the checking account register without a category selected, and when I tried to save the transaction I was asked if it was the same transaction that existed in the credit card register. I answered yes, and now everything seems OK.

Has anyone else had half a old transaction suddenly disappear? The idea is a little unsettling.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My checking account was reconciled with zero difference last week. Suddenly this week the reconciliation was off $200--my register showed $200 more than the bank. After extensive searching I found the checking account register was missing a credit card payment from 20 months ago, but the payment still showed in the credit card register. In the credit card register, when I tried to go to the matching transaction, I got a message that the matching transaction was with an account that no longer existed, but it was my current checking account. I entered the transaction into the checking account register without a category selected, and when I tried to save the transaction I was asked if it was the same transaction that existed in the credit card register. I answered yes, and now everything seems OK.

Has anyone else had half a old transaction suddenly disappear? The idea is a little unsettling.
    Hello @Wayne Kurtz,   

I do apologize for any confusion or frustration this issue has caused. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is being stored on your computer and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic program behavior and even data damage. 

Also, how often do you save backups? We recommend saving backups often by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu mentioned previously. Provided that this has been done regularly, you should be able to restore from a backup saved prior to when this issue first emerged by going into the same menu and selecting Restore a Backup File... I am curious as to whether or not this transaction appears in the restored backup.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.