T. K.
T. K. Member
I was working in Quicken today and as I was closing it out and pop-up popped up to change my file password. I do not have a file password, so I clicked through it. Now, I need to update something and I am getting a log-in screen to enter my username/password. It's telling me it's a "protected file." Hmm...I did not have a password, and it appears now I do?! The "forgot password" button is no help. Naturally, I did not back up the file today.....now what?

Version R41.10 Build 27.1.41.10 Windows 11 Home

Answers

• Here is a link to a support article that might help you.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-assisted-password-removal-service
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What exactly does the screen ask for ? 
    1 - Quicken User ID and password 
    2 - Quicken Data File password  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• T. K.
    T. K. Member
    Data file password.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    T. K. said: Data file password.
    There is also a bug in Quicken that randomly creates a Data File Password on a file - the only solution is a Restore from a Backup.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• crblegen
    crblegen Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. It may be due to a Quicken update and Quicken support isn't able to help.

Starting as of June 16, 2022, Quicken is asking me to enter a Data File Password in order to use my file. My data file has never had a password in the last 15 years or so. I contacted Quicken to use their 'Quicken Assisted Password Removal Service' and they tried but weren't able to remove the password to the data file. So I've lost about four days of work and will have to revert to a backup file from four days ago.

I'm so frustrated because in those four days I did a lot of reorganizing categories and creating budgets.

Backup often!!
  • crblegen said:
    I am having the same issue. It may be due to a Quicken update and Quicken support isn't able to help.

Starting as of June 16, 2022, Quicken is asking me to enter a Data File Password in order to use my file. My data file has never had a password in the last 15 years or so. I contacted Quicken to use their 'Quicken Assisted Password Removal Service' and they tried but weren't able to remove the password to the data file. So I've lost about four days of work and will have to revert to a backup file from four days ago.

I'm so frustrated because in those four days I did a lot of reorganizing categories and creating budgets.

Backup often!!
    Sorry to hear that Quicken Customer Support couldn't remove the password.  June 16th was yesterday, so I am thinking that was a typo, if you have 4 days to make up.  Hopefully, it won't take too long to do.  And you are absolutely right---Backup often, you never know what can happen.
  • mvtampa
    mvtampa Member
    I experienced this issue today as well, is Quicken going to address this defect?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    mvtampa said:
    I experienced this issue today as well, is Quicken going to address this defect?
    Hello @mvtampa

I do apologize that you seem to be affected by this issue as well. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you made use of the steps recommended earlier in regards to restoring a backup? Also, you may attempt to reach out to Quicken Support with the link provided by @Damian if you are having issues with passwords.

I hope to hear back from you about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • bwallace42
    bwallace42 Member
    This "problem" has now happened to me twice in the last year or so. I am tired of restoring from a backup. Why can't this be eliminated?
This discussion has been closed.