Kaspersky software thinks latest version of Quicken software R42.8 is a trojan horse malware problem

Options
hmorton71
hmorton71 Member ✭✭
Kaspersky internet security thinks latest version R42.8 is a trajan horse malware problem and eliminates the entire Quicken application. It quarantines a backup copy of the quicken program and does not allow me to restore the quicken program to my computer.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    You trust Russian software more than Quicken?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• TexMike
    TexMike Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with Rocket. Can't Trust Kaspersky. On March 25, 2022, the United States Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau added AO Kaspersky Lab to a list of communications equipment and services that are "deemed to pose an unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States or the security and safety of United States persons". Here is the link to the list: https://www.fcc.gov/supplychain/coveredlist.
  • hmorton71
    hmorton71 Member ✭✭
    Options
    For the latest version of quicken for windows 10. What internet security are you using?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hmorton71 said:
    What internet security are you using?
    My Asus router has a feature called "AiProtection" which accesses the Trend Micro database of known malware sites and blocks them from getting past the router. (It claims to have blocked 329 sites since the beginning of the year.)
    The router also has firewalls for both IPv4 and IPv6.
    I run Windows Defender and enable Controlled Folder Access and User Access Control on my Windows 10 PCs.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here is a fun fact.  The very first program that claimed to block viruses, was in fact a virus.

The truth the reason the US government considers Kaspersky a security risk isn't because of its virus scanning being bad, but instead that the very fact that they have an open pipe to their servers and run in pretty trusted level, there isn't any telling what information it might grab off of your machine, or for that matter act like a virus and use your machine to attack other parties and such.

On the subject of it calling out Quicken's installer as a virus.  That is a fundamental problem in the way most anti-virus software works.  The three main ways they try to find viruses is pattern matching and a known trusted list and trying to judge that some operation the installer is doing is "wrong".  The pattern matching is that when a virus has been found they take a "fingerprint" of it and if a program that is trying to install has that fingerprint, block it.  The problem with this is as new programs and new viruses are created the patterns start to overlap.  The trusted list fails when a new install is created, because it isn't yet on that list.  The last is really tricky to pull off.  If Quicken changes Windows register settings, runs configuration files that change config files and contact Quicken servers and such, what is a "dangerous action"?

I personally use Windows Defender.  Way back when Window anti-virus programs that came with Windows were very lacking, and as such a third-party program made a lot of sense.  But Windows Defender in Windows 10 and 11 have consistently got good marks and are among the top-rated ones.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • hmorton71
    hmorton71 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I still believe in Kaspersky's ability to do a better job than most other internet security software. By the way, I found out the simple solution to my problem is to simply turn off my kaspersky software while doing any updates to Quicken and then simply turn it back on after the quicken update is complete. The updated quicken program will then work just fine.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hmorton71 said:
    For the latest version of quicken for windows 10. What internet security are you using?
    First I make sure my router is very secure and well maintained.  ShieldsUp is a good starting point reference and many other good articles out there.  Also ensuring that any IOT devices are on a separate guest network.
    On multiple systems in our household, we use either Windows Defender, Avast, or McAfee.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.