Changing Chase account to Express Web Connect freezes Quicken

Options
Harold-Jr
Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
I received the note about changes to Chase credit cards. I went to tools and stopped Direct Connect. When I go to create a new connection, Quicken freezes. Task Manager show 0 CPU use. I tried validating the account and restarted, always with same results going to Set Up Online.

Best Answer

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:
    I received the note about changes to Chase credit cards. I went to tools and stopped Direct Connect. When I go to create a new connection, Quicken freezes. Task Manager show 0 CPU use. I tried validating the account and restarted, always with same results going to Set Up Online.

It is freezes, because, you are not suppose to stop Direct Connect, but you need to Deactivate online services for all Chase Registers, before performing Set Up Now. Close all Quicken Registers.

Click on File > New Quicken File > Dot New Quicken Account.

Make sure that Quicken is still authorize on the Chase Website. Once you are Signed into your Chase Account, click on Security & privacy. Scroll down and click Desktop Software. Make sure it states that you are set up.

You will still need to receive the Security Codes for each Chase Quicken Account Register. Have your Cell Phone handy.

Remember the Security Code is only for a Single Chase Quicken Register. It is not for all Registers at the same time.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:
    Hello @Harold-Jr

I am sorry about this issue with program crashes. Thank you for drawing our attention to this issue here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? Also, have you uninstalled the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then tried deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder? You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to hearing back from you about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    No joy. I restarted, uninstalled completely, reinstalled. As soon as I click on Set Up Now, QWin freezes and I have to close it with task manager.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:
    No joy. I restarted, uninstalled completely, reinstalled. As soon as I click on Set Up Now, QWin freezes and I have to close it with task manager.
    Hello @Harold-Jr

I apologize that this problem remains ongoing, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Thanks for following up with us about this.

Are you currently making use of any Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), firewalls, antivirus software, or pop-up blockers? If so, it may be necessary to turn these off or remove them in order to , as it may cause connectivity issues that - although rare - could cause this freezing or crashing. 

Additionally, try saving a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then follow the steps listed below, in order:

Also, if you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Chase account(s) by navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. I want to know if you are able to set up the account(s) for online banking services in this test file. 

I am eager to hear about how this works. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

It is freezes, because, you are not suppose to stop Direct Connect, but you need to Deactivate online services for all Chase Registers, before performing Set Up Now. Close all Quicken Registers.

Click on File > New Quicken File > Dot New Quicken Account.

Make sure that Quicken is still authorize on the Chase Website. Once you are Signed into your Chase Account, click on Security & privacy. Scroll down and click Desktop Software. Make sure it states that you are set up.

You will still need to receive the Security Codes for each Chase Quicken Account Register. Have your Cell Phone handy.

Remember the Security Code is only for a Single Chase Quicken Register. It is not for all Registers at the same time.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    QJ, I was able to set up a new Express Web Connect account in a new Quicken file. Now what? Can I transfer that link to the original or shall I delete the existing account and create a new one in the original data file?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chase has not announced a change-over date yet, why change now while Chase is in the middle of getting things setup.
    I wouldn't change until Chase provides a firm date.
    Don't drop Direct Connect before you really need to, EWC just isn't as reliable.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Jared. I did stop Direct Connect. Reauthorizing as you suggested fixed the problem.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:
    Thank you Jared. I did stop Direct Connect. Reauthorizing as you suggested fixed the problem.
    @Harold-Jr

It's my pleasure to be of assistance, and thanks for getting back to us about your results. I am happy to hear that you seem to have been successful in your efforts to change connection method, as you had hoped.

Feel free to reach out again if you notice any other issues, or if you have any other concerns.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.