What is the best way to create a new file with a recent subset of the data from the original file?

PA-CY
PA-CY Member ✭✭
I have a quicken file with 12 years worth of data and I want to create a new file that just has the data from the last year. This would allow me to eliminate (in the new file) accounts and spending categories that I no longer need. What the the easiest way to do this?

Best Answer

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Backup first. Then you can use File, backup or copy, and choose the copy option to filter the transactions you want included.  Note, however,  you will need to reconnect to online accounts/services for the new file.  

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Backup first. Then you can use File, backup or copy, and choose the copy option to filter the transactions you want included.  Note, however,  you will need to reconnect to online accounts/services for the new file.  

• PA-CY
    PA-CY Member ✭✭
    I tried this and selected filter dates for the last year and a half, but the new file is virtually the same size as the old, and a random spot check of the accounts shows they all have data going back to 2010. So this filter option (from File -> Backup or Copy) does not seem to work for me (version R42.8).
  • PA-CY
    PA-CY Member ✭✭
    Actually, it is version R42.19
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologize that it did not work; I have never used that as I prefer to keep everything in one file and have not had problems doing that.  I now see there have been reports of others having problems as well.  I suggest you report the problem via help menu to reinforce that it is a problem.

• PA-CY
    PA-CY Member ✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me. I did report the problem through the Help Menu. It was good to know it was not just me.
This discussion has been closed.