American Express card(s) not updating

jnprop
jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
While most of the online biller connections in Quicken are unreliable, American Express (for me) was always consistent and problem free.  About 3 months ago this changed. I started getting error messages. I deleted the biller and tried to add it back to no avail.  I have 3 credit cards with American Express...one personal & two business. In the past when setting up Amex it would prompt would ask which card you were attempting to link.

Now, it just connects one card (doesn't ask which one you are attempting to link and who knows which card it is attempting to link) It sits at:

"Biller added but the next due amount is not yet available. Please try to update your bill list later" Try Again

It stays that way no matter how many times you attempt to update or how long you waint or how many times you delete the biller and re-connect. 

Any help with this would be amazing! thanks!

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to avoid late fees and penalty interest rates

Are you about to be late with making your bill payment due to problems or unexpected delays in Quicken Bill Manager (Quick Pay or Check Pay) that can't be resolved in a timely fashion?

Due to the complexity of the matter it can take apparently forever to identify and fix a problem. While you're waiting for the problems to be resolved, to avoid missed payments I recommend you logon directly to the biller's website and authorize them to direct debit (aka PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, etc.) the next and perhaps all future payments from your checking account or a credit card. The biller will do all the work for you and make an electronic debit on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late.

In Quicken just record a scheduled reminder which does not execute as an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the payment transaction. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, and scheduled reminders don't work either for me anymore... or actually its auto entry... something that worked for the past 20 years I been using Quicken. But yes, I have had late payments due to the Quicken bill pay system not reminding me that my bill was due and went into penalty interest rate for 6 months without knowing it. Ever wondered why CC companies encourage you to go paperless.... also every wondered why you want find your current interest rate displayed online...they dont want you looking at your interest rate. And they don't notify you either when they change it.  I have about 40 billers (maybe more) as I have rental property. I wish I could find other software that I could combine personal finances and rental property business together... but it is not out there to my knowledge. I dont generally like auto draft as I helps me to manually pay so I can keep an eye on things. I do have some things on auto-draft. 
  • coletterj
    coletterj Member
    I've been having the same issue for several months. Process works just fine with my Bank of America credit card. With AMEX I've tried unlink, I've tried review and repair. It all comes back to the same thing - Biller added. Waiting for the latest update. I just spent over an hour waiting for chat help and "getting help", which ended in the person creating a ticket case number and not solving my issue. Now I have to start the help loop over again in 72 hours. This is ridiculous for a known issue impacting so many users! Help??!
  • rotunnoe
    rotunnoe Member
    Quicken should at least keep the credit card in "rotation" in the bills and income list if the biller update fails. Today the bill is shown in the "awaiting next bill" status and removes the bill from rotation placing it at the bottom of the list. Most people have some sort of balance every month and we're missing the payment because of this error.

Here is a solution: Always keep the bill in rotation but provide the error: "Unable to update balance" when automatic balance cannot be found for each biller that this occurs on. This will let the user know that there is an error and they need to check the biller website for the balance. It will also prevent us from missing a payment. Easy fix Quicken!!
  • jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    @rotunnoe I just unlinked my 3 Amex cards and do manual reminders like the old days. Which really erks me being I know it should work.
This discussion has been closed.