assign category to multiple transactions

Arimas
Arimas Member
edited September 2022 in All Things Canadian (Windows)
New to quicken and setup my first account. Trying to categorize transactions but when i make the change it only changes the one transaction and not all the the other similar transactions. How do i make the change once and it take affect on all the other transactions with the same vendor?

Best Answer

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Arimas said:
    thanks for the reply. Does this mean that future transactions from the same vendor will automatically be categorized or i will have to do this every time new transactions from the same vendor appear?
    Hello @Arimas

Thanks for asking for further clarification. I do apologize if my earlier comment was at all confusing.

To answer your question: no, you would want to make sure that you had edited the Memorized Payee List by going to Tools > Memorized Payee List and then click the Payee you want to change transactions categories for, then click Edit

I hope that clarifies the issue further.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    edited August 2022
    Arimas said:
    New to quicken and setup my first account. Trying to categorize transactions but when i make the change it only changes the one transaction and not all the the other similar transactions. How do i make the change once and it take affect on all the other transactions with the same vendor?
    Hello @Arimas

Welcome to Quicken! Thank you for asking about the Categories feature here on the Quicken Community. 

Be sure to save backups frequently by navigating to the File > Copy or Save Backups... option in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Have the transactions been assigned a category already? If so, you can search by the vendor name in the Search bar at the top of the register in the associated account. Next, select all of the transactions that appear by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking on each of them. Right-click the selected transactions, click on Edit Transaction(s) and then click on the Replace: dropdown list in the lower left-hand corner of the window that appears. Click on Category then enter your new desired Category name.

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Arimas
    Arimas Member
    thanks for the reply. Does this mean that future transactions from the same vendor will automatically be categorized or i will have to do this every time new transactions from the same vendor appear?
  • Quicken Jared
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Arimas said:
    Hello @Arimas

Thanks for asking for further clarification. I do apologize if my earlier comment was at all confusing.

To answer your question: no, you would want to make sure that you had edited the Memorized Payee List by going to Tools > Memorized Payee List and then click the Payee you want to change transactions categories for, then click Edit

I hope that clarifies the issue further.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • Arimas
    Arimas Member
    thanks so much!
  • Quicken Jared
    Arimas said:
    thanks so much!
    @Arimas

I'm happy I was able to help. Feel free to reach out again, anytime, with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it helps setting the "Lock" checkbox for a Memorized Payee List (MPL) entry to prevent unintentional changes when editing register transactions.
    While in Edit for a single MPL entry, the "Lock and leave this payee unchanged ..." checkbox performs the same function.
This discussion has been closed.