Quicken Deluxe Thinks One Step Update is Still Running

Tim Johnson
Tim Johnson Member ✭✭
Hello, I am running v42.21 build 27.142.21 on Windows 11. Just now, I ran the One Step Update as usual. The update appeared to finish; i.,e., the update progress window dismissed itself. I looked at the updated accounts. Did a little work. Then when I tried to exit Quicken, I got a pop-up message that said that One Step Update was still in progress, and I should wait until it was finished. I clicked OK. Tried again to exit Quicken, and got the same pop-up message. I tried to bring up One Step Update from the Tools menu, but nothing happened. Tried the the One Step Update Summary from the Tools menu, and again nothing happened. I was forced to use the Windows Task Manager to kill Quicken. I restarted Quicken without running One Step Update again, and all updates from before were present. This is the first time I've seen this behavior.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Johnson, using Quicken since 1993.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I am running v42.21 build 27.142.21 on Windows 11. Just now, I ran the One Step Update as usual. The update appeared to finish; i.,e., the update progress window dismissed itself. I looked at the updated accounts. Did a little work. Then when I tried to exit Quicken, I got a pop-up message that said that One Step Update was still in progress, and I should wait until it was finished. I clicked OK. Tried again to exit Quicken, and got the same pop-up message. I tried to bring up One Step Update from the Tools menu, but nothing happened. Tried the the One Step Update Summary from the Tools menu, and again nothing happened. I was forced to use the Windows Task Manager to kill Quicken. I restarted Quicken without running One Step Update again, and all updates from before were present. This is the first time I've seen this behavior.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Hello @Tim Johnson,    

I am sorry to hear about this issue with the One Step Update process seemingly continuing to run even after signs show it has completed. Thanks for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community. 

First, if or when this issue happens again, try restarting your computer after closing the program. Also, you could try uninstalling the program using the steps listed in the Support Article here, then remove Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder (note that this will not affect your data). You may then reinstall the program using the information linked here.

I hope this helps, but let us know how this works, if you can. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • @Tim Johnson in addition to the uninstall/reinstall that @Quicken Jared, I would also recommend you restore your most current backup before you used the Task Manager to terminate Quicken.  Anytime you do a "Ctrl+Alt+Del" and use the Task Manager to terminate Quicken, you risk corrupting your data file. 
  • Tim Johnson
    Tim Johnson Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I just started Quicken again, loaded my database, and ran the One Step Update. It appeared to complete normally. I then clicked the Window Close X in the upper right window frame, and Quicken terminated normally. So, the problem doesn't seem to be readily repeatable.

Having had a forty year career in software engineering, I can appreciate the difficulty of debugging an intermittent problem, especially when the software is remotely deployed. There's not much else except to hope for a transient issue that can be cleared up by a OS restart, or program re-install to fix a corrupted image. Having been in this business as long as I have, I'm a bit of a backup freak, have a script I run as a daily scheduled task so I keep six days of backup for all my critical files. I've used Quicken since the mid 90s, and I've always been impressed with how well the software keeps a clean database and does frequent saves. Good work, guys.

If I see this issue again, I'll report it here.
    Tim Johnson, using Quicken since 1993.
This discussion has been closed.