Shortcut and qw.exe file gone

rjmorton26
rjmorton26 Member ✭✭
After performing a Quicken update, shortcut was missing and received message "item qw.exe has been changed or moved'. Searched Quicken program file and qw.exe does not exist.

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    markslang said:
    ... Also, Quicken needs to include an option in the software to notify on updates but let the user decide when to install them.
    I could not agree more with this statement.  Until that happens (which I don't think it will), we can take control via the Windows "User Account Control Settings" (UAC) by setting it to always notify when a program wants to make a change, where the user can allow it or not in the displayed pop-up.  I have remained on a release from months ago via this method without issues.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @rjmorton26,

Just want to be sure that I understand your post.   You seem to be saying that after you performed a Quicken update, the file named "qw.exe" is no longer on your computer.  Is that correct?

If so, you (or your computer) deleted the Quicken program (appliaction).  To fix that, you need to download the application and reinstall it.  Here's a LINK to the installation/reinstallation instructions and program.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• rjmorton26
    rjmorton26 Member ✭✭
    That is correct however, on further review I see that Kaspersky has quarantined Quicken. I’m attempting to obtain the file and reinstall. Please advise if there is an alternative solution. Thank you!
  • @rjmorton26 - here is a solution that seems to work for other Kaspersky users - 

- Pause protection
    - Restore qw.exe from Kaspersky AV quarantine
    - Add C:\Program Files (x86)\qw.exe to Kaspersky AV exclusions
    - Resume protection.

• rjmorton26
    rjmorton26 Member ✭✭
    Thank you! That worked.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Kaspersky itself is a threat and should be removed from all computers in the USA.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭

• ShelleyM
    ShelleyM Member
    Damien, I am really a computer novice. How do I restore the qw.exe file? I see where it is in a Kapersky folder but how do I restore it to program files Quicken? I am on Windows 11using the subscription version of Quicken.
  • erickton
    erickton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @ShelleyM, @rjmorton26 follow these steps:

- Temporarily pause KAV protection (right click on KAV icon on the task bar, then click on Pause Protection...)
    - Open Kaspersky
    - Click on "More Tools" button
    - Click on Quarantine
    - Select qw.exe
    - Click on Restore
    - Add qw.exe to Exclusions and/or Trusted Applications (see attaches images)
    - Resume KAV protection (right click on KAV icon on the task bar, then click on Resume Protection)
  • ShelleyM
    ShelleyM Member
    Erickton, thank you for your detailed instructions! However, I had previously tried to get my qw.exe file back and put it onto the desktop. I went into quarantine and used the command copy as path. When I clicked on the short cut it talked about installing and deleting previous versions. I was scared to proceed.
    When I used your instructions and clicked the retore within the quarantine window it said the original folder was unavailable. I tried to type in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken but it still said the folder was unavailable. What should I do now? I truly appreciate the help this community is giving.
  • markslang
    markslang Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. For me, it was easier to just log into my Quicken account, go into my subscriptions, and download and install the latest version. If you do that at this time, however, Kaspersky will just quarantine the new qw.exe file. You can tell Kaspersky to not scan qw.exe as noted above, but that is, to me, not a safe move. Quicken needs to fix this. Also, Quicken needs to include an option in the software to notify on updates but let the user decide when to install them.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    markslang said:
    ... Also, Quicken needs to include an option in the software to notify on updates but let the user decide when to install them.
    I could not agree more with this statement.  Until that happens (which I don't think it will), we can take control via the Windows "User Account Control Settings" (UAC) by setting it to always notify when a program wants to make a change, where the user can allow it or not in the displayed pop-up.  I have remained on a release from months ago via this method without issues.

• erickton
    erickton Member ✭✭
    > @ShelleyM said:
    > Erickton, thank you for your detailed instructions! However, I had previously tried to get my qw.exe file back and put it onto the desktop. I went into quarantine and used the command copy as path. When I clicked on the short cut it talked about installing and deleting previous versions. I was scared to proceed.
    > When I used your instructions and clicked the retore within the quarantine window it said the original folder was unavailable. I tried to type in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken but it still said the folder was unavailable. What should I do now? I truly appreciate the help this community is giving.

Hi @ShelleyM in this case, reinstall the software (from https://www.quicken.com/activate. Select the option "I'm reinstalling or installing Quicken". Don't forget to disable virus protection prior to reinstallation. After installation. Add the AV exclusions. I also recommend to add the entire Quicken folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.