Wrong Online Balances - Multiple FIs

Options
Aoibheann
Aoibheann Member ✭✭
I'm struggling to reconcile my quicken file. I have multiple accounts reporting incorrect online balances. (US Bank, Citi, Chase) The balances seem to have been valid balances at some point. For the credit cards, they are all the previous statement balance (almost time for a new statement now!) for the US Bank Checking account it's the balance last time I reconciled - which was reconciled to the online balance at the time. All accounts are using Express Web Connect.

I have separately accessed each account to confirm the balances. They don't match what is being reported in Quicken as "online balance". They match my register balance instead.

I've waited and tried one-step-update multiple times over multiple days. I've tried resetting accounts, to no avail. I also validated and repaired the database - no joy.

I downloaded the most recent (R43.14) Mondo patch.

I would like to fix this without needing to rebuild my database.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aoibheann said:
    I'm struggling to reconcile my quicken file. I have multiple accounts reporting incorrect online balances. (US Bank, Citi, Chase) The balances seem to have been valid balances at some point. For the credit cards, they are all the previous statement balance (almost time for a new statement now!) for the US Bank Checking account it's the balance last time I reconciled - which was reconciled to the online balance at the time. All accounts are using Express Web Connect.

I have separately accessed each account to confirm the balances. They don't match what is being reported in Quicken as "online balance". They match my register balance instead.

I've waited and tried one-step-update multiple times over multiple days. I've tried resetting accounts, to no avail. I also validated and repaired the database - no joy.

I downloaded the most recent (R43.14) Mondo patch.

I would like to fix this without needing to rebuild my database.

Suggestions?
    Hello @Aoibheann

I am sorry to hear about this problem with incorrect balances. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, there are Open Alerts regarding Citi and Chase that may be affecting the online balances, and you can follow the links provided here and here for additional details. 

Also, how often do you save backups? We recommend doing this often by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done frequently, you should be able to restore from a recent backup saved prior to the emergence of this problem by navigating to File > Restore a Backup File... I am curious if these incorrect balance issues continue in the restored backup file.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I believe the issue you are experiencing may be an inexcusable bug that changes the beginning balance of an account without notice. Check to see if the beginning balance is NOT zero. When Quicken creates an account, the first entry is normally set to $0.00. 
    I have experienced four recent opening balance changes with online account resets. A best practice given the recent bug is to list the actual beginning balance in the memo field of the first entry of every non-investment account for quick resolution should you find a balance to be unexplainably off.
  • Aoibheann
    Aoibheann Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses!

@quicken Jared - I back up regularly. I'm not sure how far back I would need to go to fix this. The error seems to be related specifically to the "online balance" field, which should be updated whenever I select one-step update.

@GeoffG - I did notice this error when I validated and restored. I was able to correct the opening balance on the checking account. but the online balance is still wrong, because that should be coming from the institutions.

The end result, I'm seeing different info on account website vs. what Quicken shows. (this is and should be independent of my transactions!)

Thanks!
  • joecg
    joecg Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    My beginning balance wasn't zero because I started using Quicken after my accounts were established. However, the recent Chase conversion process seems to have inexplicably added $250.00 to my beginning balance. WTH?
    I have to hunt through backups to confirm this was the root cause. Ridiculous!
This discussion has been closed.