Cannot close account due to non-existent scheduled bill

billw3333
billw3333 Member ✭✭
I am trying to close a checking account that has 29 years of transactions. I click Close, type "yes" to confirm, and Quicken gives me this error:

"This account has one or more Repeating Online scheduled bill which must be deleted before the account can be closed."

If there have ever been any repeating online bills it has been a very long time since they were removed. There is nothing showing for the account in Manage Bill & Income Reminders. In Online Center the account is not listed, because I have previously disconnected online services while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

I have tried Super Validate. It reported this message:

QEL:
Corrected a problem with an erroneous repeating model.
Removed 1 qel records for payments not in register

The problem still occurs after completion of validation (including closing and reopening Quicken)

With the Quicken Startup location option set to "Home," Quicken opens the register for this account every time I start Quicken (even though the account is Hidden, and even though it was not open when I closed Quicken).

Also if I go to Bill and Income Reminders, this account is selected by default in the "For account" dropdown, even though it is hidden, and is not the first account in the list.

Anything else I can try to get this account closed?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    billw3333 said:
    I am trying to close a checking account that has 29 years of transactions. I click Close, type "yes" to confirm, and Quicken gives me this error:

"This account has one or more Repeating Online scheduled bill which must be deleted before the account can be closed."

If there have ever been any repeating online bills it has been a very long time since they were removed. There is nothing showing for the account in Manage Bill & Income Reminders. In Online Center the account is not listed, because I have previously disconnected online services while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

I have tried Super Validate. It reported this message:

QEL:
    Corrected a problem with an erroneous repeating model.
    Removed 1 qel records for payments not in register

The problem still occurs after completion of validation (including closing and reopening Quicken)

With the Quicken Startup location option set to "Home," Quicken opens the register for this account every time I start Quicken (even though the account is Hidden, and even though it was not open when I closed Quicken).

Also if I go to Bill and Income Reminders, this account is selected by default in the "For account" dropdown, even though it is hidden, and is not the first account in the list.

Hello @billw3333

I am sorry about this problem with closing transactions, and the "This account has one or more Repeating Online..." error message. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance in regards to this issue.

Unfortunately, the best path forward at this stage would be to reach out to Quicken Support using the information linked here. Support possesses unique tools and resources that enable them to continue diagnosing and troubleshooting the issue. Commendably, you have already implemented most other troubleshooting steps available to us on the Quicken Community

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,     

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    billw3333 said:

Try changing the Edit / Preferences / Startup location from "Home" to "My Money" or whatever Home view you prefer using.
    AFAIK, the register name would have to be explicitly specified in the Startup location for the register to open when starting Quicken.
    In a Home view, Bill and Income Reminders try changing the "For account" graph selection to either "Multiple accounts" or a single other account. This change should be remembered by Quicken next time you restart Quicken.
    Very carefully review Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders, All Bills & Deposits view for any reminders that might still use the old account. Any past due reminders you might have missed? Transfer transactions from or to the old account are likely candidates, too.
    Try customizing the Projected Balances view (Bills & Income tab) to select only the old account and a Time Range of "next 12 months" (or longer) to see if that will ferret out past due or future scheduled reminders still using the old account.

This discussion has been closed.