After having backed up Quicken since the procedure was changed, why this sudden pop-up?

Manniesm
Manniesm Member ✭✭
I have been backing up Quicken Premiere to a zip drive ever since the procedure was modified with the following: File>Copy on backup file>Create a complete backup>Next>Save Backup. Now for several days, after backing up, the following pop-up appears, which I have been ignoring: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page" The zip drives contain the backup files, why is this necessary?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Manniesm said:
    I have been backing up Quicken Premiere to a zip drive ever since the procedure was modified with the following: File>Copy on backup file>Create a complete backup>Next>Save Backup. Now for several days, after backing up, the following pop-up appears, which I have been ignoring: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page" The zip drives contain the backup files, why is this necessary?
    Hello @Manniesm

I am sorry to hear about this error message that you are experiencing. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community. 

This may be a Windows autorun error, of the kind discussed through the Discussion linked here. Let me know if some of the steps described there are effective. Also note that it is best to store your data file on your computer for best performance. 

I hope that is helpful, although I do hope to hear more from you about this issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Manniesm
    Manniesm Member ✭✭
    Thanks! Somehow Dropbox ( don't use it) had inserted itself when a zip drive was plugged in.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Manniesm said:
    Thanks! Somehow Dropbox ( don't use it) had inserted itself when a zip drive was plugged in.
    Hello @Manniesm

I am happy to hear that this information may have been helpful, and that you were able to uncover a resolution. Thanks so much for checking back in to update us on the situation.

Have a great day! 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you know that you can make Quicken create backups for you, automatically, every time you close Quicken?

I recommend you review your backup settings in Quicken to ensure that you create a backup every single time you close Quicken. That minimizes the number of lost changes since the last backup, should you have to restore your data file again.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS to prove it!

• Manniesm
    Manniesm Member ✭✭
    The problem had to do with Autoplay and the fact that I had uninstalled Dropbox, which I'd hardly used in the first place. Thanks for your response.
This discussion has been closed.