Path for backing up Quicken files

CJ101
CJ101 Member ✭✭
What is the path for backing up my Quicken data to my C drive?

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That is the right default place.  But you should also back up to a usb drive or dvd or external location or a cloud backup, etc. Because if your computer crashes you will lose the backup too.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I recommend you review your backup settings in Quicken to ensure that you create a backup every single time you close Quicken. That minimizes the number of lost changes since the last backup, should you have to restore your data file again.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS to prove it!

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    CJ101 said:  I had questions regarding the automatic and manual backups.
    it's pretty simple - you setup the number of backups you want - and how often when you CLOSE Quicken.
    -- Edit --> Preferences --> Backup --
    The "automatic backup count" doesn't really work -
    just just go into the \backup\ folder every so often and delete the really old files.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• CJ101
    CJ101 Member ✭✭
    I meant to tell you what path I am currently using. I am wondering if that is correct:
    c:\Users\my name\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\(then I have the file name, date, & time)
    Thank you,
    CJ
  • volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    That is the right default place.  But you should also back up to a usb drive or dvd or external location or a cloud backup, etc. Because if your computer crashes you will lose the backup too.

• CJ101
    CJ101 Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for your very prompt response. I will also backup to an external hard drive.
    CJ101
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I recommend you review your backup settings in Quicken to ensure that you create a backup every single time you close Quicken. That minimizes the number of lost changes since the last backup, should you have to restore your data file again.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS to prove it!

• CJ101
    CJ101 Member ✭✭
    UKR,
    Thank you for that info. It helps a lot
    CJ101
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    CJ101 said:
    I meant to tell you what path I am currently using. I am wondering if that is correct:
    c:\Users\my name\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\(then I have the file name, date, & time)
    yup - I have the auto backups and the manual backups going to this general path ...
    AND - then - I do a backup of my entire \Documents\ folder to two external 2TB drives....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• CJ101
    CJ101 Member ✭✭
    Ps56k2,
    Thanks for your response. Do I need to have both the automatic and the manual backups set? Each time I close Quicken, I do a manual backup to my C drive. I then copy and past the backup from the C drive to my external drives. This can be time consuming.
    I don't have an automatic backup running. Where does the automatic backup files go and how often does it automatically back up? Does the backup create 4 different file extensions? Thanks.
    CJ101
  • volvogirl
    What version do you have?  Backup files usually is one file ending in .qdf-backup.  Starting with the 2010 version they added "-backup" to the file extension.

To do a manual backup go to FILE - Backup and Restore -  Backup or do Ctrl+B.  Or I put a backup icon on my  toolbar.

How to Backup or Restore Quicken Data Files…….

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF, .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

• CJ101
    CJ101 Member ✭✭
    volvogirl,
    Thanks again for helping me. I am using the Quicken Subscription Version: R43.14 Bld: 27.1.43.14 for Windows 10 Home.

In my C:\Users\my name\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP folder is this file (example):
    QDATA-2022-08-27.AM11.39.QDF-backup

I also get 3 more files in another folder under This PC/Documents/Quicken
    They are:
    QDATA.QDF
    qdata_SyncLog.dat
    QDATAOFXLOG.DAT

Do I have something wrong? It appears that I have my backup settings correct per my note and the following posts above.

Thanks,
    CJ101
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's all good -  just the QDF file is backed up - it IS the Quicken Data File - QDF - where all your data is stored.
    The other files are just extra files for various online and logging functions.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• CJ101
    CJ101 Member ✭✭
    Ps56k2,
    Thanks again. I've been worried that my important (necessary file if I needed to restore) backup file was being split up into 2 different locations. I'll now just be concerned that I have a current copyof the QDF file!

Did you happen to see my questions in my comment back to you at 1:19PM. I had questions regarding the automatic and manual backups.
    CJ101
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    CJ101 said:  I had questions regarding the automatic and manual backups.
    it's pretty simple - you setup the number of backups you want - and how often when you CLOSE Quicken.
    -- Edit --> Preferences --> Backup --
    The "automatic backup count" doesn't really work -
    just just go into the \backup\ folder every so often and delete the really old files.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• CJ101
    CJ101 Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for all this valuable information!!
    CJ101
This discussion has been closed.