Deposit Reminder losing entry, date change not working

Options
I used the reminder to enter a monthly recurring deposit (set up like a paycheck). However, the deposit WAS NOT added to the checking account register. Ok, went into the Reminder view, tried to change the date of the reminder so that I could enter the deposit. Clicked ok, Date was NOT updated. Had to "Enter" the future dated transaction then changed the date during entry. That got the deposit into the register. However, the date on the next Reminder is still wrong.

Answers

• Knitgirl
    Knitgirl Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    If the pat answer is 'delete it and re-add the reminder' than what good is having a reminder?

This is not the first time that using a reminder to enter a debit or credit in a checking account results in no entry but the reminder being updated to the next month. Not useful.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knitgirl said:
    If the pat answer is 'delete it and re-add the reminder' than what good is having a reminder?

This is not the first time that using a reminder to enter a debit or credit in a checking account results in no entry but the reminder being updated to the next month. Not useful.
    Hello @Knitgirl,   

I am sorry for this frustration with creating recurring deposits. Thank you for speaking with us about this feature here on the Quicken Community.

Just so I am clear, have you tried adding a deposit using the following steps (first, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen)?
    1. Click the Bills tab.
    2. Click Add Reminder.
    3. Choose the type of transaction you want to schedule: BillIncome, or Transfer.
    4. Enter information about the transaction such as the payee, category, tag, and memo.
      • Tell me more about entering the information

In the Payee field, indicate who receives this payment or gives you this deposit.

• More about entering payees
          If your payee drop-down list contains payees that you no longer need, you can delete them from the Memorized Payee List.

Categorize and/or tag the transaction to indicate its purpose (for an expense) or source (for a deposit).

• More about entering categories

Enter a category name, or click the drop-down arrow to select the category you want to use from a list. The list is divided into several groups such as personal income, personal expenses, business income, business expenses, and so on. Choose the group you want to work with, and then select the specific category.

Depending on your payee information, Quicken may suggest a category.

To enter a transaction with multiple categories, click the Split button.

In the Memo field, enter a note. (Optional) You can display memo information in reports.

5. Select the account you'll use to pay or receive funds for this transaction.
    6. Select a transaction method. The choices depend on the type of account you've selected, whether the account is activated for transaction download, and so on.
    7. Enter a Web address (URL) for the biller or financial institution. (Optional)
      • How would I use this?
        This URL appears in the Web column of the appropriate Bill & Income Reminders snapshot. You can click the URL to go to the Web site, but you'll still need to log in to your account.
    8. Enter information about the transaction's amount or the method Quicken should use when estimating the amount.
    9. Enter scheduling information, such as the starting date and the frequency with which you want the transaction to recur.
    10. Click Options to set the options for your scheduled bills and deposits. (Optional)
    I look forward to discussing this with you further.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Knitgirl
    Knitgirl Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jared,
    Thanks for replying. This is an issue with an existing reminder, not the creation of a new reminder. I have been using reminders for Bill Reminders and Income Reminders for many years.
    I have been using QUICKEN for at least 20 years.

Current version information:
    Quicken Premier
    Version R43.14, Build 27.1.43.14
    Windows 10 Home

This is the problem I have with an existing Income Reminder. This Income Reminder has been in use for between 5 and 7 years.
    - The Income Reminder is due the 4th Wednesday of the Month. It is added to a Checking account; it has a payer, category information, deductions, etc.
    - In August, the Income Reminder (due 8/24/22) was used to enter the deposit in the Checking account on either 8/24 or 8/25.
    - After downloading transactions for the Checking account on 8/28, the downloaded deposit was not matched to an entered transaction
    - I then recognized the deposit (which should have been generated from the reminder) was not in the Checking account Register
    - In the Checking account, I then clicked on Manage Bills and Income on the Bill and Income Reminders tab.
    - The Bill and Income Reminders pane displayed, and the Income Reminder was found, showing the September date (9/28/22), NOT the August date (8/24/22)
    - I selected the Income Reminder and "Enter"
    - I changed the date to August 24, 2022, and clicked Enter
    - This resulted in the Deposit being added to the checking account and the deposit being Matched to the deposit in the Downloaded Transactions list
    - After completing the actions for all the downloaded transactions, I selected the Bill and Income Reminders tab, and then selected the Manage Bills & Income button
    - On the list, the Income Reminder now shows 10/26/2022, not 9/28/2022.
    - I selected the transaction, and the action Edit this Instance and all future Instances
    - "Start on" displays 10/26/2022 (4th Wednesday of every month)
    - I change the date to 9/28/2022 (4th Wednesday of every month)
    - click on DONE
    - The reminder is NOT updated; when viewed in the Bill and Income Reminders list, the date continues to show 10/26/2022.

There is no error displayed; the date in the Reminder just does not update.

It seems to me the application 'thinks' the 9/28/22 reminder was exercised, even though it was changed to create the 8/24/22 transaction. The application is not recognizing the date update back to 9/28/22.

Interested in hearing your feedback.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Knitgirl said:
    Jared,
    Thanks for replying. This is an issue with an existing reminder, not the creation of a new reminder. I have been using reminders for Bill Reminders and Income Reminders for many years.
    I have been using QUICKEN for at least 20 years.

Current version information:
    Quicken Premier
    Version R43.14, Build 27.1.43.14
    Windows 10 Home

This is the problem I have with an existing Income Reminder. This Income Reminder has been in use for between 5 and 7 years.
    - The Income Reminder is due the 4th Wednesday of the Month. It is added to a Checking account; it has a payer, category information, deductions, etc.
    - In August, the Income Reminder (due 8/24/22) was used to enter the deposit in the Checking account on either 8/24 or 8/25.
    - After downloading transactions for the Checking account on 8/28, the downloaded deposit was not matched to an entered transaction
    - I then recognized the deposit (which should have been generated from the reminder) was not in the Checking account Register
    - In the Checking account, I then clicked on Manage Bills and Income on the Bill and Income Reminders tab.
    - The Bill and Income Reminders pane displayed, and the Income Reminder was found, showing the September date (9/28/22), NOT the August date (8/24/22)
    - I selected the Income Reminder and "Enter"
    - I changed the date to August 24, 2022, and clicked Enter
    - This resulted in the Deposit being added to the checking account and the deposit being Matched to the deposit in the Downloaded Transactions list
    - After completing the actions for all the downloaded transactions, I selected the Bill and Income Reminders tab, and then selected the Manage Bills & Income button
    - On the list, the Income Reminder now shows 10/26/2022, not 9/28/2022.
    - I selected the transaction, and the action Edit this Instance and all future Instances
    - "Start on" displays 10/26/2022 (4th Wednesday of every month)
    - I change the date to 9/28/2022 (4th Wednesday of every month)
    - click on DONE
    - The reminder is NOT updated; when viewed in the Bill and Income Reminders list, the date continues to show 10/26/2022.

There is no error displayed; the date in the Reminder just does not update.

It seems to me the application 'thinks' the 9/28/22 reminder was exercised, even though it was changed to create the 8/24/22 transaction. The application is not recognizing the date update back to 9/28/22.

Interested in hearing your feedback.
    Hello @knitgirl

I apologize that this frustration with reminders is continuing. Thanks for reaching out again.

We just want to clarify what steps are being taken in the creation of these reminders. The best option at this stage would be to restore from a backup by navigating to File > Restore a Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that you have been saving backups often by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the same menu previously mentioned, there should be a backup file available for restoration that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged. I am eager to hear whether this problem continues in a restored backup file.

I hope to hear back from you soon. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared    
  • Knitgirl
    Knitgirl Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jared,
    If I restore to the backup, won't I lose the downloaded transactions since that time and any entries made since that backup?
    Mary
  • Knitgirl
    Knitgirl Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jared,
    Here is where the problem stands today:
    - Created a "new" Paycheck reminder, for 4th Friday of Aug, monthly on 4th Friday in an attempt to recreate the issue.
    - The new reminder was used to enter a paycheck deposit for 8/26/2022.
    - Checked the reminder list. The new Reminder appears on the list of All Bills & Deposits, showing a date of 9/23/2022
    - Deleted 8/26/2022 entry for Paycheck Deposit from Checking account register
    - Returned to the All Bills and Deposits. Reminder shows 9/23. Selected "Edit this instance and all future; and changed the date to 8/26/22, selected Done and the date correctly changed to 8/26/2022.

Today, I was also able to successfully change the date of the original exiting paycheck deposit to the correct September date; that is the reminder where the date would not previously change.

I guess this conversation can be closed since the problem apparently has resolved itself.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Knitgirl said:
    Jared,
    Here is where the problem stands today:
    - Created a "new" Paycheck reminder, for 4th Friday of Aug, monthly on 4th Friday in an attempt to recreate the issue.
    - The new reminder was used to enter a paycheck deposit for 8/26/2022.
    - Checked the reminder list. The new Reminder appears on the list of All Bills & Deposits, showing a date of 9/23/2022
    - Deleted 8/26/2022 entry for Paycheck Deposit from Checking account register
    - Returned to the All Bills and Deposits. Reminder shows 9/23. Selected "Edit this instance and all future; and changed the date to 8/26/22, selected Done and the date correctly changed to 8/26/2022.

Today, I was also able to successfully change the date of the original exiting paycheck deposit to the correct September date; that is the reminder where the date would not previously change.

I guess this conversation can be closed since the problem apparently has resolved itself.
    Hello @Knitgirl

Thanks so much for reaching out to me again to let me know how things turned out. I am happy to hear that the situation has resolved itself, although I am sorry that the resolution may have been somewhat unclear.

Feel free to reach out again anytime, if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.