Sidebar balance doesn't match Ending balance [when using Savings Goals]

Bob6
Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
Quicken for Windows R27.1.43.14
First off, I am using "Savings Goals". On one of my accounts, the account balance in the side bar matches the "Ending Balance" amount if, from the gear icon, I UNcheck the 'Show savings goal transactions in register and reports'. If I check this option, the
side bar balance is $50.00 less than the "Ending Balance". I do have quite a few "Savings Goal" $50.00 transactions. I actually went back to a Quicken data file from 1/1/2021 and the $50.00 discrepency still appears. I also ran a "Super" validate and repair with no luck. I then deleted all my savings goal accounts but the issue still remains. At this point I'm assuming that my Qdata file is somewhat corrupt but in all other respects my data is fine. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Bob6 said:
    Quicken for Windows R27.1.43.14
    First off, I am using "Savings Goals". On one of my accounts, the account balance in the side bar matches the "Ending Balance" amount if, from the gear icon, I UNcheck the 'Show savings goal transactions in register and reports'. If I check this option, the
    side bar balance is $50.00 less than the "Ending Balance". I do have quite a few "Savings Goal" $50.00 transactions. I actually went back to a Quicken data file from 1/1/2021 and the $50.00 discrepency still appears. I also ran a "Super" validate and repair with no luck. I then deleted all my savings goal accounts but the issue still remains. At this point I'm assuming that my Qdata file is somewhat corrupt but in all other respects my data is fine. Any suggestions?
    Hello @Bob6,  

I am sorry to hear about this problem with balance figures figures that don't match. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, is it possible that there are any other inflows or outflows occurring on a monthly basis that may be causing this $50 discrepancy? Also, are you noticing this only with the one Bank of America account? 

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

Try adding the same account by navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand side of the screen. I am curious if these problems continue in the test data file. 

I am eager to hear about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    If you search your website for "Savings Goals" you will find quite a few posts describing this issue.
    James104 from April 2020, Charlie Alich January 16 2022 for examples.

This is what I did:
    1. Deleted all the Savings Goals accounts
    2. Created a new Savings Goal account but did not enter any transactions.
    After this, the Sidebar balance and the Ending Balance NOW agree.
    3. I then entered one savings goal transaction.
    After this, the Sidebar balance and the Ending Balance did NOT agree.

There appears to be corruption in the data file where even though I deleted all the savings goal accounts
    it looks like there must be a transaction that 'thinks' it's a saving goal.

I will try your suggestion but I'm sure it will work if I start a new data file, but my QData file has transactions from 1974 to now so there is no way I could do this anyway.
  • Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    As I expected, I did create a new data file and the Sidebar balance and the Ending balances do agree when I enter a savings goal transaction.
  • Quicken Jared
    Bob6 said:
    As I expected, I did create a new data file and the Sidebar balance and the Ending balances do agree when I enter a savings goal transaction.
    Hello @Bob6,   

Thanks for getting back to me about your results. I do apologize that this issue is continuing in the original data file, although this information is helpful. 

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward. 

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    If that can be attempted, let us know how it works.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this did not work. Why is the 'Too' date in the future? My last transactions was 8/31/2022
  • Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    For the heck of it, I deleted all the transactions from the account in the sidebar that has the wrong balance. It shows a $50.00 balance (even though there are no transactions) and this is the difference between the sidebar balance and the ending balance.
  • Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    So that's it? You asked me to reply back with my findings, I did, now nothing!!!!!!!
  • Quicken Jared
    Bob6 said:
    So that's it? You asked me to reply back with my findings, I did, now nothing!!!!!!!
    Hello @Bob6,  

I am sorry to hear that this issue is continuing, and that you did not receive a response sooner. Thanks for getting back to me with more information about what's happening.

What connection method is being used to connect to online banking services with the account that is affected? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm not downloading transactions for this account, or any accounts for that matter
    (other than investments). I attached a screen shot.
  • Quicken Jared
    Bob6 said:
    I'm not downloading transactions for this account, or any accounts for that matter
    (other than investments). I attached a screen shot.
    Hello @Bob6

Thank you for replying with more information about this issue. 

At this stage, the remaining option would be to reach out to Quicken Support using the information provided in this link. They will be able to troubleshoot and diagnose this issue further using the resources in their possession.

I wish I had better news, but this is the best path forward.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob6 said:
    For the heck of it, I deleted all the transactions from the account in the sidebar that has the wrong balance. It shows a $50.00 balance (even though there are no transactions) and this is the difference between the sidebar balance and the ending balance.
    Since you seem to have shown this is isolated to one specific account, I would try:
    • Create a new account, manual, off-line
    • Move the transactions from the problematic account to the new account
    • If it looks good, delete the old account and then if needed set up the online account
    • Try resetting the Savings goals. 

• Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    When I delete all the savings goals, the balances agree. I then create a new savings goal WITHOUT any transactions. As soon as I enter just one savings goal transaction, the balances are once again off by $50.00.
  • Bob6
    Bob6 Member ✭✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > Since you seem to have shown this is isolated to one specific account, I would try:* Create a new account, manual, off-line
    > * Move the transactions from the problematic account to the new account
    > * If it looks good, delete the old account and then if needed set up the online account
    > * Try resetting the Savings goals. 

I did this and it worked. Had to make some adjustments but in the end the balances are the same.
    Thanks for the suggestion
This discussion has been closed.