Budget functionality keeps crashing and disappearing

Brian175
Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
Is anyone else experiencing problems with Planning.  I am now entering my budget for the third time.  My entered budget simply disappears.  I contacted help and agent had me do a file validation check after the second occurrence.  Hopefully the third time is a charm.  In addition, Quicken crashes when entering budget data, especially if I am continually changing the monthly date on a given budget line as I refine my budget.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Brian175 said:
    Is anyone else experiencing problems with Planning.  I am now entering my budget for the third time.  My entered budget simply disappears.  I contacted help and agent had me do a file validation check after the second occurrence.  Hopefully the third time is a charm.  In addition, Quicken crashes when entering budget data, especially if I am continually changing the monthly date on a given budget line as I refine my budget.
    Hello @Brian175

I am sorry to hear about missing budgets, and with the program crashing when trying to edit or add budget information. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you tried restarting your computer after this issue with crashing happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

Let us know how this works.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    I tried what you suggested.  Uninstalled quicken and then reinstalled quicken.  Running version R43.14 build 27.1.43.14 edition Canada on Windows 10.  Recovered my backup of August 30 containing my budget.  Everything was working fine when I signed off last night.  Signed on to Quicken this morning and got message when press planning - The Quicken File contains no budgeable accounts or categories.  The budget feature cannot be used at this time.  Very frustrated. 
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Brian175 said:
    I tried what you suggested.  Uninstalled quicken and then reinstalled quicken.  Running version R43.14 build 27.1.43.14 edition Canada on Windows 10.  Recovered my backup of August 30 containing my budget.  Everything was working fine when I signed off last night.  Signed on to Quicken this morning and got message when press planning - The Quicken File contains no budgeable accounts or categories.  The budget feature cannot be used at this time.  Very frustrated. 
    Hello @Brian175

I am sorry to hear about this issue with the "No budgetable accounts or categories" message. Thanks for getting back to me to let me know about what's happening. 

I know you mentioned that you had tried validating the data file earlier; I want to make sure that a Supervalidation has also been attempted. Save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions provided here:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, and online Bill Manager services in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new dataset ID will be created in the new data file. 

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    I look forward to hearing back from you about your results if this can be attempted. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    Super Validation will not show when I Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File.  When I was on the phone with your help centre last week this functionality would not work either.  I had hoped when deleted and updated Quicken functionality yesterday. 
  • Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    I set up a new budget.  Instead of selecting customize, I let Quicken set up my budget categories.  The budget did not disappear the next day.  I then customized the budget and the budget did not disappear the next day either.  I then entered my own budget values for 20 or so categories and budget continue to work.  As of this morning the budget is still working.
  • Mark_9Q
    Mark_9Q Member ✭✭
    I don't understand "Quicken Jared"'s response. This is a well known and frustrating problem that has been going on for two years for some users, and acknowledged by Quicken some months ago as a known problem that is being worked on. But still there is no solution, nor anything I can find that says when Quicken expects a solution. One might think that when one of the major features touted by Quicken - Budgeting - has such a major problem it would be addressed in a timely manner.

Maybe someone at Quicken can elevate this problem so it gets some priority attention and fix.

Meanwhile, you may be interested in the forum discussion here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7914934/budget-disappeared/p9?utm_source=pocket_mylist
  • Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    I am so glad to know that I am not the only one suffering from the problem.  Hopefully, they can stabilize such an important aspect of Quicken.
  • I updated to Quicken R43.20 Windows in the US on 9/7. Yesterday I did some updates to my budget. When I opened today, my budget was completely gone. I went to a two day old backup and everything was fine. I've now re-updated for two days, made two backups, and touched the budget again. So far so good. I will definitely be doing a backup about every other time I'm in Quicken for a while.
  • Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    I lost my budget again today.  Went back to my backup made two days ago that had my budget and the budget has disappeared.  Terribly upset with this functionality!!!!! Quicken needs to investigate this with priority.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Would encourage everyone to NOT post here and go to the thread/link/discussion below where this is discussed in depth, albeit without a solution yet:

Budget Disappeared. - Page 10 — Quicken
This discussion has been closed.