Restoring from a Backup Causes Accounts to go Haywire

Dezran
Dezran Member ✭✭
Every once in a while, I need to go back and look at something from an old file. So I backup my current one, close Quicken and make a copy of my current file manually, and prepare to spend the next few hours to days getting everything working properly again.
I always tell it not to sync to the cloud and that I'm just looking at the file.
Every single time things go nuts. Accounts get disconnected, sometimes (like today, it showed around 30 or so) it shows me a bunch of line items that I've already cleared or reconciled. My mortgage, checking, and visa all from the same bank got disconnected.
I've been using Quicken for at least 20 years. Today, I needed to look up the transaction to confirm what I charged a client in 2019, which was the last time they had an event due to covid. I'm really not understanding why it has suddenly become so complicated just to open another file to look up a transaction, then just re-open your primary file. This didn't used to be so complicated.
Am I missing something or is anyone else having this kind of issue?
I'm using the most recent version of Quicken Deluxe (Version R43.14, Build# 27.1.43.14).

Thankfully, I don't have to do this kind of thing often, but it sure ruins my day when I do.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need to restore an old file from backup, restore it to the same folder as your active Quicken data file (usually \Documents\Quicken), but
    • restore it to a different file name.
    • Leave your current, active Quicken data file unchanged. Do NOT overwrite it, especially if you Sync to the cloud for Q Mobile or Q on the Web.
This discussion has been closed.