How do I adjust Shares between 2 Stock Symbols with the same name.

Options
Mills
Mills Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I was not paying close attention to what happened in the providers information when updating my investment info in Quicken. It looks like the Cusp Id changed (Lookin at the Security List Screen). When the transaction was being process in one of my Portfolios, I didn't notice the transaction was validating a new symbol for an old Investment. Now when I download transactions, I get a mismatch notice showing the total number shares between the provider and Quicken. I actually have the correct shares in the portfolio between the two Cusp ID, but the download is looking at the New Cusp ID. The investment is in multiple portfolios, and I only get the notice when I update 1 portfolio.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is not clear to me what you are seeking.  Knowing the name of the stock might help.

I am assuming you now have two securities with two unique names (A-Corp and A-Corp new, perhaps).  The security details possibly show a different CUSIP number for each.  Possibly they also have different ticker symbols, or no ticker symbols, or less likely, the same ticker. 

I suspect you view the two as the same company and want all the records in Quicken to reflect that one company.  In that case, my suggested path would be to edit each of the transactions (all applicable accounts) for one 'company' (A-Corp new?) to instead reference the other security name (A-Corp).  After all the transactions associate to the one company, you can then delete the undesired company form the security list.  With that done, edit the security details for the remaining company.  Make sure the ticker is correct for the ongoing security.  Uncheck the box that the security is matched to an online security.  At your next download, you should then be prompted to match the now existing security reported by the brokerage to the desired security you have remaining in your Quicken file.

There may be real-world circumstances that would make it preferable to keep the two securities in place; one old and one new.  In that case, a different approach would be more appropriate.       
This discussion has been closed.