New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• drbob@
    drbob@ Member ✭✭
    I had a similar problem going through their process yesterday. I have 5 Chase accounts (3 credit card, 1 HELOC (created as type credit), and 1 mortgage loan. After going through the process, like others have reported, I was unable to link to accounts as they did not show in the list. So I did add, which gave me duplicate accounts. Quicken support suggested a process to manually move all transactions from the original to the newly activated EWC+ account. This was a pain, and took awhile, but I did that, along with carefully deleting any duplicate entries and opening balance line for the 3 credit cards.

My problem now is the HELOC and Mortgage (again, I now have both the original and the new accounts). The newly created HELOC came through as a loan instead of credit, and I can't seem to get to a transaction list on either loan account now. Furthermore, the new loan accounts added did not carry over any loan details so they are requiring me reenter that information. So I am currently in a mode where all of my history is in the original files for those two accounts and the two new ones (using EWC+) with no data waiting to be set up as new loans.

So, I am thinking the suggestions in this thread might help. Should I delete the newly created HELOC and Mortgage accounts and deactivate my original HELOC and Mortgage accounts, and go through the add process?

If I do the above, given I seem to have my 3 credit card accounts working, can I just do deactivate/add process for my HELOC and Mortgage accounts ... or must I deactivate all chase accounts?

Thanks in advance.
    Bob
  • mmpunch
    mmpunch Member ✭✭
    Exactly why I did not complete the ReAuthorization of my Chase accounts today. They (Quicken and Chase) still need to improve this Reauthorization process, by allowing the Reauthorized Accounts to be "linked" to existing accounts within the current Quicken File. The "Existing" accounts are not currently shown within the Link to Existing Accounts pull down menu.
  • The migration to the new Chase download process has been tortuous. I finally succeeded in linking downloads to existing accounts in Quicken by first disconnecting them from Chase, then re-connecting. The existing accounts did not appear in the list of accounts until I disconnected them. While this got me across this hurdle, be aware that Quicken may download thousands of historic transactions on the first successful connection. Don't accept them all without review!
  • djcota
    djcota Member
    I had the same issue and it really bothers me that Quicken seemingly does not test these changes completely before rolling out or at the very least, provide clear instructions. I had immediate success by deactivating all of my Chase accounts in Quicken first and then readding one of them. Upon completion I was able to easily link all 4 accounts to Chase as you would expect to.
  • sf50
    sf50 Member
    Quicken executives, please provide us a date by when you will have fixed this bug that is preventing all of us from getting updates from our Chase credit cards. We're approaching one month from when this bug was first brought to your attention. I recommend you roll back to your prior version immediately and then do better blue green testing on your new release. Thanks.
  • Connman
    Connman Member ✭✭✭
    > @mmpunch said:
    > I did not complete the ReAuthorization of my Chase accounts today. They (Quicken and Chase) still need to improve this Reauthorization process, by allowing the Reauthorized Accounts to be "linked" to existing accounts within the current Quicken File. The "Existing" accounts are not currently shown within the Link to Existing Accounts pull down menu.

You are right. I've tried more than once to complete the link using the new authorization, and like you said, it never offers the existing account as an option. From my experience, that means that the old account needs to be deactivated (and/or reset) before it will show up on the list to link to using the reauthorization process. Figured I'd give it a few days and try a third time, especially since it's a holiday weekend. Nothing looks different in the Online Services tab on the account - still shows Direct Connect as the method, and I am still prompted to reauthorize or skip when I try a OSU.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken did one better in my case.  It downloaded the Chase data to a deactivated Fifth Third Account and activated it.  The right Chase account was not offered as a choice so I figured I didn't have to choose an account.  What a mess.  I deleted the downloaded transactions and deactivated the Fifth Third Account.  Will try again tomorrow.
  • Connman
    Connman Member ✭✭✭
    Did a bit more reading, and here's the takeaway, which I just tested and it worked perfectly for me. Make sure to start with your account being up to date and reconciled and record your current balance to ensure you end up with the same numbers. You can do this with the old connection method by choosing the Skip for now option on migrating.

1) Deactivate the Online Setup for the Chase account
    2) Turn right around and setup a new online setup - it will perform the same steps as the migration/reauthorization, but it will automatically shows the Link to the correct account (just one in my case)
    3) Delete ALL the transactions that it downloads that first time
    4) You'll find an Opening Balance, some say within the past 90 days, but in my case, it was the first entry from 6 years ago - delete that, and the account balance will reset to what it was before.

If I had more than one Chase account, I would probably do each separately, just to stay sane.

And of course, make sure you have a backup to restore from before you start, just in case. Good Luck!
  • Kevin Q
    Kevin Q Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines] programmers make a big update without providing clear directions so now people are spending hours cleaning up a mess they created.
  • jtgostars
    jtgostars Member ✭✭
    I was prompted to re-authorize my existing Chase credit card account in Quicken and once I completed the process in the Chase website and was returned to Quicken it is not recognizing my existing Chase Credit card account I have been using for years. None of the "Link To" options are for the existing Chase account. Does that mean I have to set up an entirely new Chase credit card account and copy over the years of historical transactions to the new account? If so that is a terrible solution
  • I've had the same problem this morning (9/5/22). I followed the procedures to Reauthorize, did the telephone confirmation, and got to the screen Success ... You will now be redirected back to Quicken. The process froze at that point... When I managed to close that window, I found a popup beneath it about connecting to Chase accounts (I only have one credit card account). It did not work at that point.

I now find I have a whole new account set up called CREDIT CARD xxxnumber. Do I just delete that new account and start over? I notice the note at the end of the procedures about disabling pop-ups. How do I do that?
  • LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭✭
    Exactly same problem here. Chase reauthorization worked fine. But after returning to Quicken, could not link to any existing Chase account, do not want to create new account, and if I changed all to Don't add then it forces me through reauthorization next time I update. Meanwhile, update the old way works fine.
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    The above comments are all mumble jumbo with this and that or even nothing at all to make sense because one comment says one thing, and then another says differently. I am having the same problem like many of you.

Quicken must be proactive and take care of this in a seamless manner for many of us to follow up. I can NOT afford to mess up my doings if I make a wrong move.

To those at Quicken, please do not procrastinate on this issue which should be given high priority, especially when Chase has a deadline for the reauthorization towards the end of this month.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I hope you, Quicken, will take it up ASAP.
  • LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭✭
    Answer found in another thread which I now can't locate, but basically

* Make sure online updates all up-to-date
    * Backup
    * Note account balances
    * Deactivate all Chase accounts
    * Setup the Chase accounts
    * Delete ALL Chase downloaded transactions
    * If account balances differ, look for a spurious Opening Balance and delete it
  • jtgostars
    jtgostars Member ✭✭
    That's pretty ridiculous to have to delete and account and all its history for what is in essence a change in the banks protocol. What's worse and even more stupid is it's quicken that recognized a Chase account and redirects us there but somehow doesn't seem to recognize that fact when returning from Chase. Just another of the many, many flaws, defects and usability issues in Quicken.

I have over 5500 transactions in my Chase account in Quicken and I have to delete them all just to get a new download process...pure insanity
  • Thanks, TVT77! Your instructions were very helpful!!
  • Steve360@
    Steve360@ Member ✭✭
    Thank you @Connman ! Your steps worked perfectly.

I have a total of 6 Chase accounts (across checking, savings, credit cards). I deactivated each one and then went to add a new account. After authorizing with Chase it was able to add all 6 with the option to link to each one's correct existing Quicken account. One checking account was the only one that had an opening balance that needed to be deleted but the rest all matched current correct balances.

I'll feel better in a day or so when I see transactions being correctly downloaded.

Crisis averted (for now) - thanks again!!
  • LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭✭
    jtgostars said:
    That's pretty ridiculous to have to delete and account and all its history

Did you follow the steps I listed in my comment just above yours? Although more work than it should be, there's no need to delete your existing accounts and transactions.
  • gijoe2427
    gijoe2427 Member ✭✭
    When I try to reauthorize my existing Chase accounts, it doesnt regocnize the exisiting accounts. The only account that I can 'merge into existing account' with, is a non-Chase account.
  • Mike J.
    Mike J. Member ✭✭
    Installed new update 9/6/2022 that states that it corrected the Chase accounts link problem, but still unable to link existing accounts.
  • Robert Berman
    Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
    To have any chance of success, you need to create a full backup then deactivate the Chase accounts first. Look at my earlier posts or LexLuther's post on 9/5. The biggest problem seems to be Quicken's instructions are incomplete. You really need to deactivate the accounts before doing the upgrade.
  • cmarshall52
    cmarshall52 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Just got the Chase Reauthorize prompt and ran into the same issue others have mentioned, i.e. active Chase accounts are not listed as an option to link to Chase account. I see there is a Quicken update waiting (9/6/22). Will try that first and then go through the drill of deactivate and add as suggested by others.

I saw one post indicating Bank Billpay no longer works with Chase after update. Has anyone else run into that? That would be a major PITA, as I have used that for a long time!

Update: I backed up my Quicken file, updated from R43.14 to R43.20 and retried the Reauthorize with the same result. Existing Chase accounts not shown as options to link to. Deactivated all Chase accounts and reran the Reauthorize. This time accounts were correctly linked. However anywhere from 0 to 39 duplicate transactions were downloaded per account that needed to be deleted.

After switching to Express Web Connect, the Bank Billpay option is no longer available. That's a drag, I really liked that!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @cmarshall52

To answer your last question - the new Chase connection method - "Express Web Connect+" does NOT support bill payments through the bank (Chase in this case).  So, if you want to continue to pay bills in Quicken, you will need to use Quicken Bill Pay, or another bank that still supports the "Direct Connect" method.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• elorimer
    elorimer Member ✭✭
    R20 didn't fix this issue for me. I was able, I think, to authorize 2 of six accounts yesterday, and after R20 one more accurately linked to an existing account. But another links (without being able to change it) to an account at a different institution, and two more don't link.
  • ChuckCole
    ChuckCole Member ✭✭
    :( Maybe I'm wrong but when I go to reauthorize my Chase accounts and I'm then presented with a form of my accounts, my expectation is that I should be able to link them to my existing accounts. Most of the accounts say "Add" them and the ones that say I can link them the only option is "Cash Account". Shouldn't it allow me to pick the Quicken account I want to link each to?
  • thorn5
    thorn5 Member ✭✭✭
    Boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!
  • cmarshall52
    cmarshall52 Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @cmarshall52
    >
    > To answer your last question - the new Chase connection method - "Express Web Connect+" does NOT support bill payments through the bank (Chase in this case).  So, if you want to continue to pay bills in Quicken, you will need to use Quicken Bill Pay, or another bank that still supports the "Direct Connect" method.
    >
    > Let me know if you have any followups.
    >
    > Frankx

You appear to be correct. After updating, Bank Billpay option is missing. Not sure who to blame for that, Chase or Quicken.
  • prathmell
    prathmell Member ✭✭
    I have 2 chase credit card accounts, and I did the reauthorization, which created 2 new accounts with half the data. Today there was an update to Quicken itself, and now the "old" version of the 2 accounts have been updated correctly and everything seems to be functioning properly with the "old" accounts. The new ones are royally screwed up.

My Question is this: Is it safe to delete the "new" messed up Chase accounts. I deactivated them but I just want to get rid of them.
This discussion has been closed.