Anyone having a problem reauthorizing Chase credit card for downloading?

dardito
dardito Member
When I do an update to download transactions, Chase needs to be reauthorized. When I do it, it will not let me link it to the existing chase account.

Best Answer

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before you try to reauthorize, make a backup of your file then deactivate the downloading for Chase.  Then, reconnect your Chase account for downloading and it should work.

I was able to get it to work for a checking account and 3 credit cards.  When I first tried it I couldn't connect to my existing accounts so then I deactivated and tried again and then it worked.  

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before you try to reauthorize, make a backup of your file then deactivate the downloading for Chase.  Then, reconnect your Chase account for downloading and it should work.

I was able to get it to work for a checking account and 3 credit cards.  When I first tried it I couldn't connect to my existing accounts so then I deactivated and tried again and then it worked.  
  • dardito
    dardito Member
    Thank you bmciance. You are a SuperUser!!!
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it worked!   Now hopefully there will be no problems with it going forward.  We will keep our fingers crossed...
  • GH2
    GH2 Member ✭✭
    I just updated to version 46.20 that reportedly fixed this issue without having to take extraordinary measures. IT DID NOTHING to fix it. Same bad behavior. I had tried to manually merge "added" account and existing account but it really screwed up the checking account balance. I had to restore to a backup.
  • GH2
    GH2 Member ✭✭
    Typo in my previous post. It should read 43.20. It is build 27.1.43.20.
  • almatav
    almatav Member ✭✭
    I'm on 43.20 as well and even after deactivating and reactivating my two Chase CC accounts, I am only able to reconnect them and get downloaded transactions from one of them. The other account doesn't download any transactions at all, pending or otherwise, and hasn't downloaded any since 8/31.

Also, neither account shows an Online Balance or Current Balance. Only Final Balance.
  • razebo
    razebo Member
    I am on build 27.1.43.20 as well for windows and had / have same issue downloading Chase CC , checking and savings accounts. Had to change to EWC+ connection and deactivated/activated and initial download update(s) were hit and miss. On my checking account that has years of history, balance was wrong - as well as multiple savings accounts. I backed up many times and even restored in an attempt to fix it...no luck -same issues were happening....after a few hours trying to figure out the balance differences, just decided to make onetime entries...will see if future downloads are correct....EWC+ aggregates balance information nightly - so wondering if that is part of the issue.
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One point....if when you first change the connection it downloads some old existing entries, you not only have to NOT accept and delete those downloaded entries you also have to change your opening balance back to what it was.  This is because when it downloads the entries it changes the opening balance by the net of those entries.  
  • GH2
    GH2 Member ✭✭
    I think I have this sorted out, but it should not have been so hard.
    - create a backup and include date and time in the name in case you need to restore
    - for each Chase acct in acct list, right click on it and choose edit
    - click Online services tab
    - turn OFF automatic entry of transactions if it is on
    - Once that is off for all accts, close Quicken and then reopen it as this actually makes the "off" happen

For each Chase acct, edit it as above and deactivate online services
    Once that is done, choose a Chase acct (checking acct if you have one) and activate the online services

This will trigger the authorization process and have you login to your Chase acct via a web page. At the Chase process make the selections needed for each account.

It should return you to Quicken at the end and Quicken will do a lot of updating and (visually annoying) screen flashing and blinking. Be aware of this if that causes issues for you.

Back in Quicken when the updates are done, for each Chase account go to the beginning and see if you have an opening balance entry. If you do, delete it or create an entry to nullify/"pay it off." (I did this).

You should see a list of transactions to process in each acct. Select one transaction (you can only do one at a time) and delete it if it is old and already in the register or add it if it is truly new. Repeat for each account until all transactions are processed. Your accounts' current balance should be as before this process or modified appropriately for new transactions.

Re-edit each account and turn on automatic entry again if you want that.

Close/open Quicken again, optionally create another backup, and run an update. The process should run successfully without going through the reauthorization again and not have any transactions to add.

I hope this helps.
  • KHDawg
    KHDawg Member ✭✭
    Really appreciate all the info here - I'm a 25+ year user. Can someone confirm that I read correctly that "opening balances are modified with each download of new transactions"? Maybe I'm missing something but that seems crazy. I'll leave a banking relationship before I leave Quicken, as painful as that may be.
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Opening balances are only modified on the first new download with the new connection.  Not "each" download.  At least in my experience it was only the first time.  Since then it has worked fine.  
  • this shouldn't be so hard -- it was working for the last month and now I can't get my checking to download - it says all chase accounts authorized -- but checking and one savings does not download and can't do it manually from the site...
This discussion has been closed.