CHASE/QUICKEN BANK BILL PAY ABOMINATION!

Options

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Matthew Caswell You're not speaking with Quicken management here; just a bunch of fellow Quicken users and a handful of Quicken moderators. If there are things you think we could possibly help you figure out, just ask — and don't yell. ;) You can also call Quicken Support if you want to see if they can help you. 

Change is usually hard for most of us, and when there are glitches in the system, it's worse. Some things will undoubtedly get worked out over time, and some things may require more steps than they did before. You may find it easier to set up DirectTV to auto-bill your credit card, or use Chase's website to initiate the bill payment instead of Quicken. (I'm not a Chase customer nor a DirectTV customer, so I'm just trying to offer suggestions which you might find helpful.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Matthew Caswell
    Matthew Caswell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Deleted
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Matthew Caswell I understand your frustration with the situation, but yelling at the people in this forum, who may or may not be able to help you, might just get them to ignore you instead. ;) If you understand that this site is mostly fellow users and no Quicken management, then why yell at us? 
    Chase says it's quicken that killed their bank bill pay, Quicken says it's Chase that killed their bank bill pay
    Well, Chase is the (only) one who decided to end support for Direct Connect. And only Direct Connect allows the Quicken application to talk directly to Chase's servers to initiate bill payments. The EWC+ protocol simply doesn't have the capability to interact with Chase's bill pay. So Chase is incorrect in saying Quicken killed it; their decision to end support for Direct Connect is what killed it.

But you can still use Chase bill pay, from the Chase website rather than Quicken. If you schedule a bill payment in your Chase account, it will download to Quicken like any other transaction. If you want to see these recurring transactions in Quicken before they actually take place at Chase, you can do some extra work to set up scheduled transactions in Quicken; when the bill payment takes place from Chase, it will download the transaction to Quicken, which will either automatically match it to the scheduled transaction or you can manually drag one over the other to manually match them. 

Or you can set up merchants like DirectTV for auto-pay. They charge your account at Chase each month, and Chase downloads the transaction to Quicken.

Or you can use Quicken Bill Pay. I'm not sure I understand the "approve new terms" issue you've mentioned. Is it new terms for Quicken Bill Pay which you have to accept? Or new terms for DirectTV? Is there a problem with clicking to accept the terms (e..g is it changing your rate, or just the legalese)?

Personally, I think using Quicken Bill Pay introduces more potential problem points than using auto-pay or the bank's bill pay, so I have never used Quicken Bill Pay.

And yes, these approaches can end up being a few more clicks or steps than what you could do with Quicken Direct Connect to Chase — but Chase created this issue. Why? Only Chase can say — and they won't! — but it's likely either (a) to save money (Direct Connect costs them more for connectivity with Intuit, plus running servers just to support DC), or (b) eliminating whatever security risk they see in Quicken transmitting a user's username and password to logging into their Chase accounts in favor of the secure token technology in EWC+, or both.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Matthew Caswell
    Options
    Thank you for the very detailed response. I tried to find a way to delete this whole thread but can't find one so I guess it'll stay.
This discussion has been closed.