How to move my data files?

Options
20yearuser
20yearuser Unconfirmed, Member
I have been using Quicken 2006 on Windows XP. I have loaded QuickBooks 2013 on Windows 10 on a new laptop, using a new 2013 disc . How do I move my data? Haven't been able to find QW2013DLX.exe anywhere.

Best Answers

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you asking about Quicken 2013 or QuickBooks?

You don't move the .exe file.  That is the program.  You need to copy the data files to a flash drive to move them to another computer.  If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

If you need to convert to a newer version you might need to go through one or more intermediate versions. How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

I had some links on moving your files between computers but they don't work any more.  I'll have to find the new one.  Maybe someone else will post it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just thought of something.  You can probably install 2013 on your windows XP (I'm pretty sure, I think I used 2013 on XP).  Then open your file in 2013 for it to convert to 2013.  Then you just will have 1 file to move to the new computer.  

• 20yearuser
    20yearuser Unconfirmed, Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for your help !!! That sounds like it's going to work.
This discussion has been closed.