Quicken Starter (Canada) - "Register Columns" not working

Ed_
Ed_ Member
When I click on "Register Columns" (either the shortcut icon in the action bar, or the menu item that drops down from the "gear" icon at top right corner) nothing happens. How can I close/hide the "Amount" column for register view for all accounts?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Ed_ said:
    When I click on "Register Columns" (either the shortcut icon in the action bar, or the menu item that drops down from the "gear" icon at top right corner) nothing happens. How can I close/hide the "Amount" column for register view for all accounts?
    Hello @Ed_,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with unresponsive menu options. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

When did this issue begin? Try saving a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then try the steps provided below, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let us know how this works!

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    I just recently installed this version of Quicken (previously was using Quicken 2010), so this isn't something that was working for me and then stopped working - it hasn't worked at all. And yes, I have done both the "Validate and Repair", and the "Super Validate" processes, and they make no difference. (The report says, "No errors", "No read errors", All internal consistency checks passed.") For what it's worth, I have "Use large fonts" checked in the "View" menu - wondered if window sizing or something is interfering, so turned that off but it made no difference.
  • Quicken Jared
    Ed_ said:
    I just recently installed this version of Quicken (previously was using Quicken 2010), so this isn't something that was working for me and then stopped working - it hasn't worked at all. And yes, I have done both the "Validate and Repair", and the "Super Validate" processes, and they make no difference. (The report says, "No errors", "No read errors", All internal consistency checks passed.") For what it's worth, I have "Use large fonts" checked in the "View" menu - wondered if window sizing or something is interfering, so turned that off but it made no difference.
    Hello @Ed_,   

I do apologize that this issue lingers, even after validating and supervalidating the data file. Thanks for letting me know about your results.

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward. 

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    Let us know about what you see after trying this, if you have the chance to drop by once more.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    edited September 2022
    I followed the instruction about creating a new copy; no difference. (After selecting the New Copy to load, and there was no difference, I also closed the program and then re-opened it. Still no difference.)

[Removed - Speculation] 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ed_ said: When I click on "Register Columns"...
    Wonder if it is a bug in the STARTER version.
    If you click on the Gear - and then down in that Register View & Preferences....
    if you "scroll/hover" over the selections of - Reminders - Sorting - do their respective menus pop-up and display ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Jared
    Ed_ said:
    I followed the instruction about creating a new copy; no difference. (After selecting the New Copy to load, and there was no difference, I also closed the program and then re-opened it. Still no difference.)

[Removed - Speculation] 
    @Ed_,    

Thanks for getting back to me about your results.

To clarify the situation further: did you convert this data file from a Quicken 2010 data file? If so, it is possible that there may be some data file issues, given the difference between versions. You can read about this in the Support Article linked here, with special attention paid to the section under Instructions.

We look forward to your reply. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    No (as I mentioned at the very beginning, nothing happens whether I use the shortcut icon, or the drop-down menu from the gear icon).

When I click the gear icon and then hover over "Reminders to show" or over "Sorting options", there are pop-up submenus, and they work as expected. If I click "Use one-line display", that toggle works. But when I click "Register columns" from that drop-down menu, nothing happens.

(Oh, and by the way, I have all Win10 updates installed, including .NET, etc.)
  • Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    To Jared, re having converted the Data file from Quicken 2010 - yes, I looked at the support article. It explicitly says:
    If you are converting a data file from Quicken 2010 or later
    You do not need to follow the steps in this article. An intermediate version of Quicken is not necessary. Simply install your new version of Quicken and open your data file.
    (Again, I'd like to respectfully ask, do you or your team know of anyone who has fixed this issue by doing something to the Data file? Or is this more likely a bug in the Starter/Basic version of the Quicken program itself?)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried creating a new Quicken data file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    as @Greg_the_Geek suggested above....
    to try and separate the bug from the Quicken software vs the Quicken data file -
    Create a NEW named "test" Quicken data file -
    and just create a new account and then see if the menu bug is still there -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    Yes, that was a great suggestion. So I created a new account, awarded myself $100 cash, and when I went to the register, it behaves the same way - clicking on "Register Columns" (either with the shortcut icon, or through the gear dropdown menu) does nothing. So this seems to have nothing to do with a particular data file.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ed_ said: So I created a new account, awarded myself $100 cash...
    just to clarify - you first needed to create a NEW Quicken data file - NOT using the same one you are normally using ...
    ... File --> New Quicken File -->

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    Yes, sorry, I mentioned that I created a cash account just so that I could have a "register" to test. But I created that cash account in a brand-new Quicken File.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    BTW - just another point about the STARTER version - it only supports the Banking services - NO Investment accounts.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    Yes, thanks (info about no investment accounts) - that's not an issue for me.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I installed the US version of Quicken Starter R43.20 and I'm able to open the Register Columns menu. Do you have another Windows computer to try or maybe create and new Windows user account to rule out Windows.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ed_
    Ed_ Member
    I'll see if I can make time to try on another Windows computer this evening. (This level of troubleshooting seems more appropriate for the programmers/developers rather than paying users - but I'll see what I can do.)
This discussion has been closed.