How to combine two data files into one - i.e. move accounts from one file to another

hcgewin52
hcgewin52 Member ✭✭
Quicken Windows user for 3 decades moving to Mac using the Premier subscription service. Before I convert the Windows file, I need to combine two data files into one. Originally, I set up the bank accounts in one data file and the investment accounts in another (the earliest versions of Quicken didn't handle all investment transactions well). I would like to move the bank accounts into the investment data file since I believe that the bank and credit accounts would transfer more easily. How do I do this? I see a "File Export" menu item, but there are two file types: QIF and QXF. I would like to do this with the best possibility for success. The bank account has about 12,000 transactions, the 2 credit card files are 4,000 and 1,650 transactions.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    hcgewin52 said:
    That's a really OLD solution (2009). It actually worked very well using the QXF file export. Some of the suggestions in the original solution were good, but I believe the latest file export and import solves most of them.
    QXF export/import is probably be the best way to do it, but only for non investment accounts.  Quicken Windows QXF import doesn't import investment accounts.  But note it does when exporting, which is only useful for a Quicken Window to Quicken Mac conversion.  But in that case Quicken Mac actually runs a virtual copy of Quicken Windows (which has been modified for the task) and as such you just copy your QDF file over to the Mac and not an exported QXF file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • hcgewin52
    hcgewin52 Member ✭✭
    That's a really OLD solution (2009). It actually worked very well using the QXF file export. Some of the suggestions in the original solution were good, but I believe the latest file export and import solves most of them.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    hcgewin52 said:
    QXF export/import is probably be the best way to do it, but only for non investment accounts.  Quicken Windows QXF import doesn't import investment accounts.  But note it does when exporting, which is only useful for a Quicken Window to Quicken Mac conversion.  But in that case Quicken Mac actually runs a virtual copy of Quicken Windows (which has been modified for the task) and as such you just copy your QDF file over to the Mac and not an exported QXF file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • hcgewin52
    hcgewin52 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris_QPW. In my case, I had one data file for bank and credit card accounts and one data file for investments. Since QXF doesn't import investments, I just exported the bank/credit card file into the investment file. Worked fine, and I successfully migrated the single data file into Quicken Mac.
This discussion has been closed.