Change in stock ticker symbol for - Sony

hartlenb
hartlenb Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
On April 1, 2021, Sony changed its ticker symbol from SNE to SONY. My downloads from Ameriprise have continued to load under the SNE symbol. I know that my monthly statements from Ameriprise use the SONY symbol so I'm assuming that the downloaded transactions would also use the new correct symbol.

1. How do I get Quicken to stop changing the symbol from SONY to SNE?
2. Is there a simple way to make a bulk change of the transactions after Apr 1 to use the correct SONY ticker? Or do I have to change all transactions (even those before Apr 1)?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go to the Security List, find Sony and edit it to change the ticker from SNE to SONY.   It will update everywhere in Quicken.   That's all you need to do
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I interpret your question different than @bmciance did. I suspect you have two different Sony Corp securities in your Quicken file. If that is the case, I suggest:
    • Edit each of post-4/21 transactions to refer instead to the pre-4/21 security. (I am assuming that there are fewer of those later transactions. If that is a bad assumption, edit the other set.)
    • Once all transactions refer to the one security, delete the second security. 
    • Edit the remaining security to make the ticker SONY. 
    • (This step may not be necessary, but I would) uncheck the box that the security is matched to an online security. At the next download, you’ll get the chance to properly match the current brokerage Sony to your Sony. 
    HTH. 

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @q_lurker, good point.  It is very possible that two different securites were created.
  • hartlenb
    hartlenb Member ✭✭✭
    @bmciance & @q_lurker thanks for the ideas. To clarify, these are not two different securities. It's the same security, the company changed their ticker as of April 1, 2021. No change to stock values or cost basis, etc. Just a new ticker.

So I could do what bmciance suggests (which may end up being the easiest) but then I would lose continuity with other records (like my brokerage statements). Quicken would show purchases prior to April 2021 using the new ticker which won't match brokerage statements that would be using the old ticker. I don't know how often, if ever, this would happen but you never know.

While not an every day occurrence, changing names and/or tickers, isn't completely uncommon so I thought there might be a way in quicken to simply solve this -- eg somehow equate two symbols as equivalent?
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @q_lurker was not saying it was two different securities. Just that you might have two securities set up in Quicken for it. The way to handle a ticker change is as I suggested.  There is no way to equate two tickers in Quicken.   

If you have two tickers set up in Quicken and gave transactions on both you will need to do as @q_lurker suggested so that you end up with all on the latest ticker.  It's either that or keep both tickers if you really want to exactly match your brokerage records.  But again, there is no way to equate the two. 

I did this recently for a different company and I just changed the ticker (and name in my case since the company changed both) and went from there. Very simple.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I could do what bmciance suggests (which may end up being the easiest) but then I would lose continuity with other records (like my brokerage statements). Quicken would show purchases prior to April 2021 using the new ticker which won't match brokerage statements that would be using the old ticker.

First, when you change the ticker from SNE to SONY, Quicken will ask if you want to copy the old SNE prices to the new ticker. Default is yes which is what you want to do in this case. There is also an option to delete the SNE prices after the copying. I would do that also. 

That price history data is the only aspect tied to the ticker. All buys, sells, dividends, and other transactions are tied to the security name. So no transactional continuity is lost. Quicken will be showing purchases prior to 4/21 using the same security name as later purchases. 

BUT you seem to keep saying there is a difference in transactions before and after 4/21 which is why I saw this as a two-security issue. 

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just FYI -
    As previously announced on May 19, 2020 in the press release titled “Announcement of New Sony Group Organizational Structure,” Sony Corporation will change its company name to “Sony Group Corporation” effective on April 1, 2021. In connection with this change, the ticker symbol for American Depositary Shares of Sony Corporation traded on the New York Stock Exchange will change from “SNE” to “SONY” effective on the same date.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• hartlenb
    hartlenb Member ✭✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > ....
    > BUT you seem to keep saying there is a difference in transactions before and after 4/21 which is why I saw this as a two-security issue. 

No, I was hoping to keep the pre 4/21 transactions as originally entered with the SNE ticker so it would match my brokerage statements. And use the SONY ticker for transactions starting in 4/21 (again to match my brokerage statements).

Anyway, I understand that the simplest path forward is to edit the security information and affect a bulk change on all transactions.

Thanks for the help.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh.  Maybe some clarity.  

Quicken recently added the ability for the transaction list to show the ticker:security name rather than the security name only.  If that is what you are using AND you only have one security for Sony, then yes, that presentation will be only SONY:Sony... after you change the ticker.  To get SNE:Sony... before 4/21 and SONY:Sony... after 4/21 would require two separate securities.  Per the post from @Ps56k2 that may be the more accurate presentation, but it is probably less desirable for most other considerations.   
This discussion has been closed.