Quicken Backups: Repeatedly goes to previous location instead of allowing choice

Options
Recently I have noticed that when I backup my Quicken file after updating/adding transactions I am not allowed to choose the location. That is, I backup to "I" drive and then want to backup to the "E" Drive location. Alas, it does not give me the option and backups to "I" drive. If I close and reopen Quicken it lets me choose but then repeats the same behavior. Any ideas?
Thanks
Ed

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Recently I have noticed that when I backup my Quicken file after updating/adding transactions I am not allowed to choose the location. That is, I backup to "I" drive and then want to backup to the "E" Drive location. Alas, it does not give me the option and backups to "I" drive. If I close and reopen Quicken it lets me choose but then repeats the same behavior. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ed
    Hello @EdNottingham,   

I am sorry to hear about this strange problem wherein backups can only be saved to one location. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, are you saving backups to an external drive, and is your current active data file located on your computer? You can check the location of your current active data file by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • EdNottingham
    Options
    Thanks @QuickenJared. And, yes, I backup on (1) my desktop hard drive and (2) two different external drives. This is an episodic issue (no problems when working with one account, but then when I opened a second account it would only backup on the last selected location). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken multiple times and I have the latest version installed.
  • EdNottingham
    Options
    24 September 2022 update: I just attempted using the "copy or backup" option under "File," rather than clicking on the backup icon available on the "toolbar." When doing that the specific desired locations where available and when selected backups when to the desired location. Note to self: Avoid using the "Toolbar" icon for backups. 😁
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    24 September 2022 update: I just attempted using the "copy or backup" option under "File," rather than clicking on the backup icon available on the "toolbar." When doing that the specific desired locations where available and when selected backups when to the desired location. Note to self: Avoid using the "Toolbar" icon for backups. 😁
    Hello @EdNottingham

Thanks so much for getting back to us with an update about this situation. I am glad to hear that the issue seems to have been resolved, and the information about how you were able to discover a different result with the File menu is especially helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.