Problems connecting to brokerage account at Davenport (NetXInvestor)

Options
CharlieG
CharlieG Member ✭✭
I've been trying to connect to my brokerage account at Davenport for about a week without success. Davenport's web site is run by NetXInvestor which means there are two possible ways to connect as both Davenport and NetXInvestor can be picked in Quicken as the financial institution. I see connecting to NetXInvestor has been an off and on problem in the past and I've tried to incorporate the prior posts into my attempts. In all cases I eventually end up with a “Sorry. We encountered an error. (It’s not your fault.)” error message.

Connecting directly to NetXInvestor

When asked for my user id and password there’s a message from NetXInvestor saying I need to also provide my financial institution number so I’m entering DAVuserid as the user id (DAV is the financial institution number for Davenport). When I also provide my password I am not challenged for a OTP via SMS as I expected to be. The connection attempt fails. I have reported the problem to Quicken using the menu option under Help. Note: using DAV, user id and password I can successfully connect to the NetXInvestor web site and see my account.

Connecting directly to Davenport

This seems to go a little better as I am asked for my OTP but ultimately ends in failure. In this case I am using my user id without prepending the DAV (NetXInvestor financial institution number). I can see my account on the Davenport web site when I connect this way and provide my OTP. Here’s the specific sequence of what happens:

Quicken -> Add Account -> Specify Davenport as financial institution -> Provide user id and password -> Quicken returns OL-297-A error, Quicken is unable to establish an Internet connection -> Quicken then asks how I want to supply my OTP -> I say text to cell phone -> Quicken asks for OTP which I provide -> End up at Sorry. We encountered an error. (It’s not your fault.)

I have reported this problem to Quicken using the menu option under Help. I also tried connecting directly to Davenport in a brand new Quicken file but got the same error.

With that I think I’ve tried everything that was previously suggested. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In another discussion there was mention of an Update to Windows on or about 10/12/22 which caused similar problems.
    Did you install a Windows Update before all this trouble started? If so, try uninstalling that Update.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There's mention of Security Updates to Windows 10 and 11, on or about 10/12/22, which cause this. There also is mention of a Windows fix available for this problem.

• CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    As suggested by several users, my problem turned out to be caused by the October security update from Microsoft. Installing KB5020435, the updated version of the security patch, fixed the problem.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I noticed that the Davenport setup link defaults to setting up the connection with Express Web Connect.  This connection method cannot be used for downloading investment accounts data.  When using Express Web Connect to connect with an investment account an error message like the one you received is common.
    Instead, investment account requires Express Web Connect+ (not supported by Davenport) or Direct Connect.  So, you might want to try the following after clicking on Add Account:
    1. After clicking on the Davenport setup link, do NOT click on Next.
    2. Instead, click on Advanced Options.
    3. Then select Direct Connect and then click on Next and follow the prompts.
    Let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Boatnmaniac - but afraid that didn't solve the problem. When I choose the Direct Connect option the "Davenport" link behaves just like I reported the "NetXInvestor" link behaving above - not asked for OTP and then get the no Internet error.

Interestingly after I posted my original note I saw that when I went down the "Davenport" path (with Express Web Connect) I did get a security email from Davenport saying a new device had connected to my account. So they thought a connection had been made even if Quicken didn't.
  • redmillander
    redmillander Member ✭✭
    Options
    Possibly related, my downloads from Netxinvestor stopped on Oct 13, and I'm getting the OL-297-A error from them as well.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In another discussion there was mention of an Update to Windows on or about 10/12/22 which caused similar problems.
    Did you install a Windows Update before all this trouble started? If so, try uninstalling that Update.
  • drut687
    drut687 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having a similar problem with the error message OL-297-A when using one step update. Even thou I am getting that message Quicken is still being updated properly.
  • ukfigs
    ukfigs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same issue here, was all working fine until last week and then started getting the internet connection error messages, tried all suggested fixes. Can access via web, mobile app just not quicken.
  • Steven Green
    Steven Green Member ✭✭
    Options
    Identical problem with a different broker (Sagepoint) also started on or about 13 October 2022. Tech support at Netxinvestor (=Pershing, the clearing firm used by Sagepont) and at Quicken point the finger at each other when phoned ("Can't be at our end. Must be at their end. Get them to solve it.") All other bank and brokerage accounts update perfectly.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There's mention of Security Updates to Windows 10 and 11, on or about 10/12/22, which cause this. There also is mention of a Windows fix available for this problem.

• CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    As suggested by several users, my problem turned out to be caused by the October security update from Microsoft. Installing KB5020435, the updated version of the security patch, fixed the problem.
  • FlyerFran
    FlyerFran Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Same issue, started a couple of weeks ago.  Says Q' can't connect and gives error code: OL-297-A. FI I'm trying to access is; SPF eQuipt SafePoint-Persh Accts. 
  • FlyerFran
    FlyerFran Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Thanks to the above comments, I uninstalled Microsoft Update KB5018410.  After restart, Update KB5018410 was shown as available.  I installed it and my SPF eQuipt SagePoint- Persh Accts were added to Q' successfully.  Go figure. 
This discussion has been closed.