Suddenly I cannot reconcile my Bank of America account - full of errors never seen before.

pkedrm
pkedrm Member
Every time you do an update I want to toss Quicken out the window. I manually download activity on all of my accounts: banking, credit cards only. I just did a download of my Bank of America activity and the account is totally messed up. The balance is decreasing with every charge entered and increasing with every payment. I am so stressed out by this that I can't see straight.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @pkkedrm

It sounds like you are talking about a credit card account, but you haven't been clear - BOA offers both types. Can you please tell us if this is a bank account or a credit card?  Also, did you just recently add or setup this account in Quicken, or have you had it in Quicken for some time and the behavior has changed recently?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• pkedrm
    pkedrm Member
    Frankx - it is a credit card account and I have been using Quicken since Microsoft did away with MS Money - so I have been reconciling to the penny several months for several years. Then today I went to see if I could figure out what is wrong and noticed that every charge/purchase (entered in the correct column) is reducing the balance as though I had made a payment and every payment is increasing the balance as though it is a charge! To add insult to injury the previous balance that is carried forward from the previous month is not displayed when you're doing a reconciliation so I don't even know if Quicken picked up the right figure to start with. I'm about ready to go back to manual record keeping but I'm really attached to the idea that I can search for transactions when I need to. I have my records for several years and it's quite handy. So far none of my other accounts have been plagued by this bizarre situation knock on wood.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    If you've reset BoA for any reason, there is a good chance your beginning balance has changed. This is a recent bug. Since you came from MM your starting balance may not be $0, but you should be able to determine the correct amount from an older backup. 
    It would be advisable to add the starting balance amount to the memo field of the first entry for every account you update should this happen again it becomes an easy fix.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @pkedrm,

Thanks for the additional information.  In the balance column of the credit card register - does the number appear in red or black?  Also, if you page up through the register, do you see a place where the balance switches (or jumps) dramatically in amount, or from red to black?

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.