Quicken crashes after trying to open data file

debbiecody
debbiecody Member ✭✭
I upgraded to 27.1.45.13 today. Quicken opens but when I try to open my data file it loads up but immediately crashes out of Quicken. What can I do?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded to 27.1.45.13 today. Quicken opens but when I try to open my data file it loads up but immediately crashes out of Quicken. What can I do?
    Hello @debbiecody,   

I am sorry to hear about these issues with crashing when trying to launch the program. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

Are you noticing any extra CPU usage when trying to close the program through Task Manager if or when this happens? Also, have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    I am running Windows 11 Home
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?

FAQ: Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access — Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    It is selected "off". So, do I need to go ahead and click "one" or add the quicken folder as suggested? I just want to confirm to make sure I am doing this correctly.
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    sorry "on"
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared, I haven't had any issues until this morning when I updated to the latest version. I did shut down and restart several times. I had the same issue. The program opens and asks for my password to open my file, the file starts to load up and I see it but then the program shuts down. So, do you still recommend I uninstall the program and reinstall it (I noticed there are 2 options in the directions - either "install" or "reinstall" - I want to make sure I'm picking the correct option). I am working on Windows 11 Home.
  • Quicken Jared
    Hi Jared, I haven't had any issues until this morning when I updated to the latest version. I did shut down and restart several times. I had the same issue. The program opens and asks for my password to open my file, the file starts to load up and I see it but then the program shuts down. So, do you still recommend I uninstall the program and reinstall it (I noticed there are 2 options in the directions - either "install" or "reinstall" - I want to make sure I'm picking the correct option). I am working on Windows 11 Home.
    Hello @debbiecody,   

I am sorry to hear about this problem with password prompts, and that these other issues are continuing. Thank you for providing more details about the situation.

To be clear: do you remember setting a password for your data file? If this prompt is unfamiliar, and you never set a password for your data file, be sure to let us know, as a separate set of instructions will be necessary, in that case.

I look forward to your answer. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    I have been using the same password for a long time. I have always used the same password to get into this file.
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    The password works as the .qdf file opens up in Quicken after using the password. Once the .qdf file opens up, I can see it but then the Quicken program shuts down.
  • Quicken Jared
    The password works as the .qdf file opens up in Quicken after using the password. Once the .qdf file opens up, I can see it but then the Quicken program shuts down.
    Hello @debbiecody,   

Thanks for clarifying the matter.

In this case, I do recommend proceeding with the instructions for uninstalling, removing the program from the Program Files (x86) folder, and then reinstalling the program provided earlier. 

I hope that helps. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    Okay, I'll give it a try. I get nervous doing this - wish me luck!
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    Jared, I uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I was able to open up my .qdf folder. Then it switched to the Quicken login page. I logged into Quicken with my email and password and then it brought me back to my current file. It was up for a few seconds and then Quicken shut down again. What is going on?
  • debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    During the reinstall, it stopped twice with an error message. It asked me into program files and manually delete the c:/programfiles(x86)/Quicken folder which I did. It then let me reinstall the program all the way to the end. Then I opened the Quicken program and then the above comment happened again ...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• debbiecody
    debbiecody Member ✭✭
    I completed the Validate and that took care of the issue. It's been a long time since I have done that and it cleaned up a bunch of old transactions hanging out there. Thank you for your help. Debbie
This discussion has been closed.