Older transactions not downloading

jcv
jcv Member
I started using Quicken again after having last downloaded transactions in July. Now, when I download transactions, nothing from July through early November is downloading. While it might be understandable to not have access to July but what about October? That was only a month ago.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Most financial institutions limit the amount of data that can be downloaded.  They determine and control how much data they will download.  We cannot control that.
    For new accounts in Quicken most financial institutions will download the last 60-90 days of transactions but some will download less than that while others will download a lot more (up to about 2 yrs).
    After the initial downloads they limit the number of days that can be downloaded even further with 30 days being very common.  But others will download more days than this while others will download less than this (I have one financial institution that will download only the last 2 wks of transactions).
    Your options to fill in the missing data include:
    • Log into your online account(s) and check to see if they offer manual downloads from there in QFX or "Quicken" or "Web Connect" format.  If they do, you should be able to select the time period(s) you want to download and after downloading in that format you can manually import the downloaded file into Quicken where you can match it up to the account in question.  (This is called the Web Connect process.)
    • If they do not offer manual downloads from their website in these formats, check to see if they offer manual downloads in OFX, Excel or CSV formats.  If they do, you can download the data in one of those formats and save the files to your hard drive.  Then download and install ImportQIF which is a freeware program that can convert those files into a QIF file that Quicken can then import.  You can read up on ImportQIF and download it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/.  I have not used this program myself but others have posted that it works well for them.
    • Manually enter all missing transactions.
    • Do not bother entering the missing transactions and instead manually enter account balancing transactions.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jcv,

Can you give us some more information to help us understand the behavior you are seeing?

Are you getting any error codes, if not, what actually happens when you try to download the data?  Which financial institution (or institutions) are involved?  Is this happening for all of your connected accounts, or just some of them?  You seem to be able to download "current" transactions - what is the starting date of those transactions?

Any additional information will help us to help you.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Most financial institutions limit the amount of data that can be downloaded.  They determine and control how much data they will download.  We cannot control that.
    For new accounts in Quicken most financial institutions will download the last 60-90 days of transactions but some will download less than that while others will download a lot more (up to about 2 yrs).
    After the initial downloads they limit the number of days that can be downloaded even further with 30 days being very common.  But others will download more days than this while others will download less than this (I have one financial institution that will download only the last 2 wks of transactions).
    Your options to fill in the missing data include:
    • Log into your online account(s) and check to see if they offer manual downloads from there in QFX or "Quicken" or "Web Connect" format.  If they do, you should be able to select the time period(s) you want to download and after downloading in that format you can manually import the downloaded file into Quicken where you can match it up to the account in question.  (This is called the Web Connect process.)
    • If they do not offer manual downloads from their website in these formats, check to see if they offer manual downloads in OFX, Excel or CSV formats.  If they do, you can download the data in one of those formats and save the files to your hard drive.  Then download and install ImportQIF which is a freeware program that can convert those files into a QIF file that Quicken can then import.  You can read up on ImportQIF and download it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/.  I have not used this program myself but others have posted that it works well for them.
    • Manually enter all missing transactions.
    • Do not bother entering the missing transactions and instead manually enter account balancing transactions.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

• jcv
    jcv Member
    This is happening with multiple accounts. One is a checking account with Schwab using Express Web Connect+. Another is a credit card with Citi using Express Web Connect. Another is a credit card with B of A that now uses Express Web Connect+. I say now because when I got back to using Quicken on November 15th, it was an account that had previously not been downloading. I got a message telling me they changed their download service so I updated the account to use the new service. It was at that point that I tried downloading for all accounts and noticed the missing transactions from July 11, through November 15th. July 11th was probably the last time I had downloaded transactions. When I downloaded again today, I got the new transactions that had come in since November 15th but again, nothing before that date. I am not seeing any error codes during the download.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jcv,

I think that you've fallen "innocent" victim of some changes that financial institutions have made in the way that they download transactions, or the problems that can occur because of the passage of time.  For example, since BOA changed their downloading method - while you were not downloading - you now will not be able to completely download all transactions for the period that you decided not to download. Or, because you failed to regularly download transactions, your financial institution may no longer permit downloads of old data.

My advice would be for you to update your accounts via whatever methods might still be available to you.  In some cases - depending on the financial institution - you may be able to download transactions online, or through the use of downloaded .qfx files.  In other cases you may need to create transactions - from the financial institutions' websites - via manual input.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jcv
    jcv Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up downloading the missing transactions via a .qfx file and everything appears to be in order.
  • Boatnmaniac
    jcv said:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up downloading the missing transactions via a .qfx file and everything appears to be in order.
    Glad to hear you found the 1st download option in my post above to be helpful.  Unfortunately, not all financial institutions support this Web Connect (QFX) option, which is I why I also provided the other options.

This discussion has been closed.